Question about hosting email and site separately

Hello - I have a quick question about hosting email and a site separately.

a friend currently has a site hosted with godaddy. They are planning to let the hosting expire this month but want to keep their domain and their email service.

we plan on redirecting their domain to a domain of mine on a dreamhost shared plan.

what is the best way to set this up and avoid or minimize downtime for their email?

it seems as though my options are:

1. update to dreamhost nameservers and then point mx record back to godaddy. however i assume there will be some email downtime?

2. stay on godaddy nameservers and update a record to my dreamhost server. however everything i have been able to find says my server ip is subject to change at any time which means i have to constantly monitor this.

is the above correct? are there any other options i have missed? is there any reason to choose one option over the other? are there any further considerations for minimizing downtime?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Set up the MX records on DreamHost to point to GoDaddy’s servers first, then point the nameservers to DreamHost once you have that set up. There should be no downtime.

Keep in mind that, even if you do end up with the MX records missing temporarily, most mail servers will retry undeliverable messages for up to a few days. As long as you don’t wait too long to fix things, it’s pretty hard to lose mail.

Hey Andrew - Thanks for the quick reply!

Just wanted to quickly restate to make sure i am on the same page as you…

I log into my dreamhost panel, manage domains, add hosting to a domain and set it up as a fully hosted domain.

At this point i should be able to update the mx records to those provided by godaddy.

Once that is done i can point the nameservers to dreamhost and we are good to go.

Please let me know if i missed anything. Otherwise, thanks again for your help.