Question About Ending Hosting But Keeping Domain Registered

Several months ago, having way too much difficulty with DreamHost’s hosting, we switched the DNS nameservers to another host and have
just never utilized the hosting here.

Now my hosting package is up for annual renewal, and I’m very
concerned that of I just “CANCEL ACCOUNT”, (but keep the domain
renewed at $9.95 per year) the nameservers (DNS) we had re-routed could
be unset somehow and the whole site go down.

There doesn’t seem to be any number to call and I just don’t want
to push the wrong button on one of my important sites, but shouldnt
be paying for hosting not being used here.

Help?

Thanks,

Captain Lou
http://MillionDollarGroupsSystem.com

If all you have is a registered domain, you can safely cancel your account — doing so will not affect the nameservers on the domain.

(A cautionary note, though: The nameservers you have set on the domain are not set up entirely correctly. Specifically, you do not have A records configured for ns1/ns2.davidcavanagh.com, which may cause some DNS resolvers to be unable to resolve the domain! For details, see the report at intodns.com.)

Thank you for pointing out intodns.com, very nice resource.

Is the “recursive queries” warning anything we should be concerned about?

It says, “I could use the nameservers listed below to performe recursive queries. It may be that I am wrong but the chances of that are low. You should not have nameservers that allow recursive queries as this will allow almost anyone to use your nameservers and can cause problems. Problem record(s) are: …”

The “recursive queries” warning is known to give false positives for our DNS servers. I suspect that they’re querying a domain that some DreamHost customer has, intentionally or accidentally, added to their panel. Rest assured that our nameservers are not actually set up to support recursive queries.