Question About Domain & Webite Address

Ok…I have a website, ie: www.mydomain.com

I recently noticed, when I do a google search on my site name, several links come up pointing to files on my site,
in the form of www.mydomain.xxxxxx.com/files/files…, where “xxxxxx” is some other name.

First off, I have NO idea where these files are or who might’ve hacked (my assumption) my account to place files for download on my account.

How did someone set this up?
How do I find this area of my site?
How do I get rid of them?
How do I keep this from happening again?

Any help would be great!!

[quote]I recently noticed, when I do a google search on my site name, several links come up pointing to files on my site,
in the form of www.mydomain.xxxxxx.com/files/files…, where “xxxxxx” is some other name.[/quote]
The “xxxxxx.com” is the domain name of the files you are seeing in the search. It is possible that someone is archiving your stuff - I have known many sites that do this. You can find out more about who is doing this by looking at the WHOIS record of the domain in question:

http://whois.sc/xxxxxx.com

I’m almost certain that no kind of “hacking” is taking place, but there may be issues of copyright infringement, etc.

Perhaps if you could actually reveal your domain name to us, we could be more helpful.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I do not want to give out my domain name at this time, but I will give the 2nd part…

www.mydomain.jetsue.com

…the files that are being accessed were never on my site.
If the address is as listed above, aren’t they using my website?
Or, is it www.jetsue.com just using my domain name as a sub or something?!?

I’m confused.

[quote]www.mydomain.jetsue.com

…the files that are being accessed were never on my site.
If the address is as listed above, aren’t they using my website?[/quote]
No, they would be using your trademark if you trademarked your domain name.

This is the way DNS works. It’s a list of lists, each list separated by a period.
The first list here is "com"
The second here is "jetsue.com"
The third is "mydomain.jetsue.com"
And “www.mydomain.jetsue.com” is probably just a link to the third list.

The people managing the second list get to decide what is on the third list. What are the lists made of? A text identifer (hostname) an an IP address.

My domain is openvein.org - I can make www.google.openvein.org if I wanted to - doesn’t necessarily mean I am linking to Google, copying Google’s files, or otherwise doing something without authorization other their using their trademark. All I would be doing is adding a list entry that says a computer listening to a certain IP address can also be known by the name “www.google.openvein.org

So possibly your domain name is not very original. For example, with millions of people on the Internet, there are bound to be other people using “Atropos” from Greek mythology. And they just might also want a website with that word in the domain, like I did with atropos.openvein.org

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Jetsue (WHOIS record) appears to have been a webhosting service, now defunct. Your domain name, which I assume must be a relatively common word (or words) was/is being used as a subdomain. There appears to be no foul play, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Ok…now that you’ve explained it, I think I understand…Thanks!!

Actually, my domain name is NOT common at all, IMO…it is dlbgames.com

I do not have anything on there right now, but was just curious when I saw the links via google.

Thanks again!!

Right. A little research on the Google results indicates that a gentleman by the name of Derrick Bouchard wrote some computer games. So apparently he used his initials and the word “games” to come up with a subdomain in which to host the game files on sites that offer cheap subdomains such as netfirms.com and cjb.net

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Thanks for all the digging and explainations!!

Usually I’m good at digging up info…and I DID see that about Derrick Bouchard and his game…but, for some reason I didn’t put that “db” thing together!
Good job Columbo!! :smiley:

Actually, I just jumped to the conclusion that it might be hacked and someone was stealing my bandwidth by hosting files on my site or something silly.

Thanks again for the explainations…now I understand how it works!!