Question about domain transfer!

Hey everyone, thought I’d ask here about a potentially blunderous error I’ve made in attempting to transfer my domain from wordpress.com to Dreamhost. I signed up for Dreamhosts services on Sunday night 8/18/19 and began the domain transfer request for my wordpress.com registered .com domain over to Dreamhost. I didn’t realize at the time that I should change the DNS servers on the wordpress side, though I do remember the Dreamhost panel asking me if I wanted to use Dreamhost’s servers during the transfer request process.

So wordpress says that if no request to cancel was made by 8/22 the transfer request would proceed, so I figured okay I’ll have to wait until then to see what happens. Now its past that date and the transfer request on both sides still says “pending”.

My question is two fold ----1. Did I screw this up royally or can it be easily fixed once the transfer is complete in the Dreamhost panel itself? 2. How long do domain transfers usually take? Am I just being impatient and need to give it more days?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!