Question about being compliant with the DH Anti-Spam policy

If we have a box on our registration page saying they are “opting-in” to the newsletter by registering on our website, is that okay?

How we would like our flow to be:
[list=1]
[]User is notified they are opting-in to recieve our newsletter on the registration page
[
]We record the data/time and IP address at the time they registered
[]We send out an email with a link they click on to active their account, and in the same email we will include a link where they can opt-out of receiving our newsletter, along with a link to our privacy policy
[
]Each newsletter will have a link to where they can opt-out of future newsletters
[/list]

Is this acceptable?

Example flow according to the DH Anti-Spam Policy page:
[list=1]
[]User is emailed with a link to opt-in to receive newsletters, link to our privacy policy, and a brief description of the mailing list
[
]We record the data/time and IP address at the time they opted-in
[*]Each newsletter will have a link to where they can opt-out of future newsletters
[/list]

Hi,
that would be the correct way to do it but you’d have to make sure that the loging is the confirmation during sign up. If you have any additional questions please PM your email so I can send any additional information you require.

Thanks,
Mari

I talked to DreamHost support and the way I wanted to do it is not acceptable to them. In fact, they won’t accept ANY other flow other then theirs which is outlined in my original post (and their DH Anti-Spam Policy page).

I would have likely guessed that. The reason they won’t consider any other workflow than an emailed opt-in link is because of forgery. With your workflow I could go register as draven@example.com and start filling your inbox, and even tho you have the ability to opt-out why should you have to because you never asked for it, I forged your email address for you.

In our case, that couldn’t happen because we require users to active their accounts (step 3 in our flow). Obviously users that have not activated their account would not get the newsletter.