Question about additional domains / coupon codes

Hi, I was reading the wiki and it said that I received one domain registration credit yearly, effectively making the domain I register free for life. But then I came across a coupon code that would give me an additional free domain registration, and I was wondering… would I receive TWO credits each year if I did this plan, or would I have to pay to keep the other one registered?

Also, is this hosting site any good :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Thanks,
Prospective Customer

The promo codes that give you extra free domain registrations are like the one free one you get with every hosting plan. You get however many domain registration credits every year.

So in your example, if you used a promo code that gave you one extra domain registration, you’d get two credits per year (counting the first one everyone gets) and would be able to have two domains registered forever (as long as you maintained your hosting plan).

Note that you don’t have to keep the same domain every year. You can use the “credits” to either renew your existing domain or register a new one and let the old one lapse. The one thing you have to be a little careful of is that you get your credits annually in your last month of each year so you can’t “switch for free” in the middle of the year.

Is the hosting any good? Check out the various posts here. You’ll find lots of people here who are happy and some who are sad. A lot depends on what your expectations are and whether you are lucky in being assigned to a trouble-free server - that is, a server with nice neighbors.

What are you expecting to do with your hosting account?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

Thanks a ton! I was really wondering about this… now I’ve just gotta decide exactly which code I want to use.

And I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do with this hosting account, right now I"m beginning to learn web design and will be using this to host my personal web site.

But a couple of things drew me in - the free domains for life, (and wow at 4 free per life), as well as the increase in bandwidth and storage monthly. This way if I stick with them for a while I’ll have a great plan set up when I really need it.

One last thing - I was told that DH sells more storage than they physically have. Is this true?

Yes, it’s true. It’s all explained in the Dreamhost blog post, “The Truth About Overselling”.

Basically, it’s a common industry practice to have ridiculously high limits on disk space and bandwidth. Alternately, it could be better described as “just-in-time provisioning”. That is, don’t buy disk space until you actually need it.

That said, if you actually need and use your disk space up to your limit, no one’s going to stop you. However, you’d be a pretty unusual person to actually need 500 GB of disk space for your web hosting and still only need the CPU and memory of a normal shared hosting account.

Did that make sense to you or have I explained it poorly?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

Sounds good enough for me. I like that idea - Just in Time Hosting. We learned about that in school last year (well… JIT Manufacturing at least… ), and obviously it works well for companies world wide, so it’s good enough for me.

I trust that we won’t all spontaneously add 600 GB of content and then download it all.

LOL. Yeah, that’s right. I’ve actually thought about this a little myself.

I certainly don’t have the uplink to do the upload in a reasonable amount of time. I also don’t have that much content that I could post. Backups of my PC hard drive are restricted by the Terms of Service.

Maybe if I posted all our home videos… (but then I’d be dead after my wife found out I posted the “wrong” video by mistake, so overselling wouldn’t be on my mind at all)

They’re Dreamhost coupons!

Well, I’m sold. Soon I’ll sign up (or rather, convince my parents to sign up for me :smiley: ).

Does the DHPC3DOMAIN50 get you a bit of cash?

Lensman has answered your question clearly.

DH is a really good hosting company. We have free life domain here. We have 500GB space and 5TB bandwidth here. The space and bandwidth increase weekly. Now my space is 55GB and my bandwidth is 6TB already although I use only a little bit of them.

If you have read about DH’s affiliate program, you should know the answer. The promo code owner will get either $5 or 5% of payment. It is not much but a reward to the efforts of code owner putting in.

Please be clear with DH’s rules. You can’t refer yourself. If you play against the rule, everything will be gone.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I’m positive that it gets you exactly what it says on the website, which is 3 extra domains and $50 off.

(note to everyone else: This is awkward and I do apologize for discussing specific promo codes here)

Spearfish, I’m glad to hear that! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here. Maybe you could promise to create a website of some kind for your parents, too?

Yep, I’m sure of that.

I was just wondering if it was one of your personal promo codes.

[quote]Yep, I’m sure of that.

I was just wondering if it was one of your personal promo codes.[/quote]
Ohhh, apologies. I misunderstood.

Yes, that one is mine. Like most of the “as good as you can get while still getting a $50 discount” codes, there’s $2 left over as a referral fee.