Qmail / Discussion Lists

Hi.

New here. Does anybody have an opinion on DreamHosts ‘discussion list’ facility?

I have been running a few yahoogroups for years, and was thinking of just doing it myself. I’m really getting irritated with the advertisement links with their service.

DreamHost uses Mailman (I think), but I read somewhere that qmail was kof kof ‘better’. Hopefully I haven’t offended anybody.

So I suppose I am asking:

1. Will I be able to load, and play with, qmail/EZMLM?
  2. Does anybody use the current (Mailman) discussion lists, and are there any problems?

Thanks guys,

Bruce.

That’s an apples-to-oranges comparison; qmail is an MTA (put simply, mail server) and Mailman is a mailing list application. One has nothing to do with the other. You can’t install your own mail server software on a shared hosting service. Dreamhost does not use qmail, so ezmlm cannot be used here.

Mailman isn’t great, but it’s probably the best free mailing list software available (a sad state of affairs). I haven’t used ezmlm, but the fact that it requires qmail pretty much automatically puts it below Mailman, regardless of its actual capabilities.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Hello Bruce,

I’m a DreamHost member for a while, but to be honest I only knew about the mailing list “facility” last week, so I still haven’t tried it out. I’ll try to do it this week, and I’ll get back to you. I’m also, very, very interested in this… autoresponder services are a bit expensive when you have many people subscribed… but the delivery rate is much, much higher.
I’ll try to signup with an email from gmail, yahoo, and hotmail, to see if it’s delivered to the inbox, or spam folder :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Ok. Thanks to you both for your help/time.

Bruce.