Puzzled Over Second WordPress Install

I am creating a site, insightexchange.net. I wanted to install WordPress in a subdomain, blog.insightexchange.net, and that has been accomplished.

However, I see that WordPress also seems to be installed under the top (main) domain, insightexchange.net, which I didn’t intend.

When I tried deleting that second install, under insightexchange.net, I got a Failure message: “Error communicating with server!”

Should I try to delete that second install, under insightexchange.net? Or does it need to remain there?

Thank you,
Jona

Sorry, just to clarify:

You created your subdomain blog.xxx.net and installed WP there
When you look in the directory you have for blog.xxx.net, you see WP files
However; you are also seeing WP files in the directory you have for xxx.net
You try deleting those files, in xxx.net, but when you do you get errors for blog.xxx.net saying "Error communicating with server!"
Does that sound correct?

If so, do you have blog.xxx.net pointing to the same directory as xxx.net?

You only have to have WP installed in one place for it to work. However, if your sub-domain is pointing to xxx.net (mirroring), or using the same directory as xxx.net, then you will have issues.

In the DreamHost cpanel, under manage domains you can have a quick look at each of the domains xxx.net and blog.xxx.net and see if they are configured to each be fully hosted. If one is mirroring the other than that is the issue.

No, blog.xxx.net is nit pointing to the same directory as xxx.net. And there is no mirroring whatsoever.

[quote=“jona56, post:1, topic:59784”]However, I see that WordPress also seems to be installed under the top (main) domain, insightexchange.net, which I didn’t intend.

When I tried deleting… insightexchange.net, I got a Failure message: “Error communicating with server!”[/quote]

What makes you think WP is installed there, and how are you trying to delete it?

Under One-Click Installs > Manage Installed Applications, under blog.insightexchange.net I see one Installed App, which is WordPress; and under insightexchange.net, I also see one Installed App, which is WordPress.

Under the Action column, I clicked on “Delete all Files” for insightexchange.net, and got the Failure message, “Error communicating with server!”

• Jona

1. In the One-Click management area of Panel: use the Remove from List button to remove insightexchange.net from the list.

2. Via SFTP: manually delete any superfluous WP files (i.e. any file that you didn’t create yourself that’s inside the “insightexchange.net” directory).

Default WP directories:

/wp-admin/
/wp-content/
/wp-includes/

Default WP files:

license.txt
readme.html
wp-activate.php
wp-app.php
wp-blog-header.php
wp-comments-post.php
wp-config-sample.php
wp-cron.php
wp-links-opml.php
wp-load.php
wp-login.php
wp-mail.php
wp-pass.php
wp-register.php
wp-settings.php
wp-signup.php
wp-trackback.php
xmlrpc.php

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I contacted DreamHost, and they were able to delete the install.

Jona