PunBB (Favour from the admins)

Connor (from PunBB and the man behind the MyPunBB-server) said that I should ask the admins about a favour:

Can one of you guys upload my .sql-file for PunBB?
It is only 8MB big, but it is not possible to upload it with phpmyadmin.

Thanks for the help I hope I will get. :slight_smile:

-AssD-

you should be able to upload it via FTP, there is no upload size limit there.

Then if my memory’s not too foggy, you can import it from our local space… hopefully :slight_smile:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

How do I import it?

-AssD-

I’m sorry, I was assuming phpMyAdmin allowed you to import from a local path but I can’t verify that.

Hopefully your ftp user is a shell user? If that’s the case it should be no problem for you.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2444

You’ll really be suprised what you can find in the kbase if you give it a look!

This is hard!
What shall I do when I open PuTTY?

-AssD-

this search turns up this tutorial which should enable you to get to the point where you can do this here. Interweb: kickass!

It’s only hard because you don’t know how. Familiarize yourself with some keywords, when you don’t know what those keywords mean, google them, now you’re fishin!

I’d be happy to give you specific instructions short and simple on how to do exactly what you’re trying to do, but alas, I don’t know how off the top of my head. Same as you :slight_smile: We’ll learn more this way anyhow.

OK, I will try… :confused:

This kind of sucks since I don’t got so much time so if I can’t do it now I will need som help from the admins. ^^;

-AssD-

GAH!

1. MySQL ODBC won’t work. So one of the easiest methods will not work.

2. I don’t know what server I should connect to with PuTTY and when I’m trying to press the password nothing comes up, but the username came up.

3. Can I get my money back? This sucks.

-AssD-

as far as the server you should connect to it’s just your domain.com. Put in the user name associated with the domain, and press enter. Now just type in your passowrd, even though nothing appears and press enter. Instead of displaying *** it’s just blank- but it’s there.

Yes, you can get your money back if you’re still within the 97 days after sign up. Just hop into the panel not sure if you can use that to get your money back or if you still have to contact support about it. But either way, if you still want to leave you can.
Don’t forget to make a backup of any files or E-mails you may have here before you cancel!

-Matttail

OK, but It’s whierd.
I still get “Access denied” and I’m using the right password.

-AssD-

have you enabeled the user as a shell user? Panel > users > Manage > Edit the user in question - then place a tick next to enable shell access.

Give it about 2 hours or so and then it should let you in I think.

-Matttail

Ok. :slight_smile:

This is my last questions:

1. Do anyone got a good example on “mysqlimport -L -hHOSTNAME -uUSER -pPASSWORD DATABASE DUMPED_TEXTFILE”?
    I don’t know how it is going to look like and stuff.
    Give me an example. ^^;

2. Where should I upload my forum-file (aka .sql)?

I hope someone annswers me just like I told. :wink:
And by the way, thanks for all the help I have got to this point. :slight_smile:

-AssD-

Hello?

-AssD-

mysqlimport -L -h HOSTNAME -u USER -p PASSWORD DATABASE DUMPED_TEXTFILE

HOSTNAME is the hostname that you set up in your control panel for the database, mysql.domain.com or somesuch

USER is the username you’ve set up in your control panel

PASSWORD is the password you’ve assigned to the above user in your control panel

DATABASE is the name of the database you created in the control panel

DUMPED_TEXTFILE the name of the text file you’ve uploaded and are trying to import, “example.sql” for our purposes here

To make things easy you should upload the sql file to your user root since that’s where you’ll be when you login via shell. To draw a picture, fire up the ftp and the user root should have some files and folders in it like:

/yourdomain.com
/logs
/Maildir
.bashrc

etc etc etc… you should upload the “example.sql” file right into that spot. When done there, login to the shell and type the example line with the proper bits filled in and hit enter, that should do it…

mysqlimport -L -h mysql.domain.com -u myusername -p mypassword mydatabase example.sql

I understand it now, but I’m now getting Access Denied.
And why do it ask about my password two times?

“Error: Access denied for user ‘assd’@‘virgil.dreamhost.com’ (using password: YES)”

“Error: Access denied for user ‘skoglund’@‘virgil.dreamhost.com’ (using password: YES)”

“Error: Access denied for user ‘assdakanintyboy’@‘virgil.dreamhost.com’ (using password: YES)”

And now this has happened:
http://www.bluespritedsun.com/forum/

c’mon now Mr AssD, we’re bending over backwards with a helping hand here and that’s the error report given as thanks? :stuck_out_tongue:

What/where are you getting “access denied”? When you try to login via putty/shell? after you pass the command for the import?

What/where are ou being asked for your password two times?

http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/AssD/thingy.jpg
^^;

And now I’m getting error at my board: www.bluespritedsun.com/forum

The reason why I’m angry is because I have been trying to upload the board all since I got an account here and it is still not up.
But with your help I’m maybe going to be able to do it. :slight_smile:

try this:

mysql -hforum.bluespritedsun.com -uassd -p bss < thing.sql

then hopefully it will prompt you for your password, enter it, then hopefully it gets to work

This is one solution which seems applicable, found in the user comments below the originally linked kbase article. You are reading this stuff right? :wink:

Nothing happened.

EDIT: Now I got many options like silent and table… :confused:

Can you do it for me?
I’ll give you my passwords… ^^;

-AssD-