Publishing to domain + additional users

I just signed up and transferred my domain (golden-kiwi.net) to Dreamhost. I uploaded my index.html to the “golden-kiwi.net” folder in my ftp, but when you visit the url:

"Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

Also, can users I set up publish their files to a separate subdomain, or are their accounts file-storage only?

[quote]I just signed up and transferred my domain (golden-kiwi.net) to Dreamhost. I uploaded my index.html to the “golden-kiwi.net” folder in my ftp, but when you visit the url:

"Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "[/quote]
Do you have an .htaccess file in your golden-kiwi.net folder? If so, it may be causing the error.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

No, I don’t, actually. Where can I get the .htaccess file?

That’s not what I mean. Sometimes, a poorly thought out .htaccess file is the reason for errors such as the one you describe.

You can create an .htaccess file in any text editor. See the .htaccess article on the DreamHost wiki for more information. It is used to perform redirects, rewrites, and all manner of other interesting things.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Yes. Simply set that user as the ‘FTP user / CGI-runs-as user:’ when adding the sub-domain to the system in Domains -> Manage Domains

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thank you for the subdomain info! I’m still having issues with publishing my files to my domain, and I don’t want to perpetuate it by creating a bad .htaccess file. Is there any reason my files aren’t automatically accessible after placing them in the domain folder?

If you do not have a .htaccess file that could be causing the problem, then it sounds like a job for DreamHost support. Perhaps the file permissions on your account have been messed up (for whatever reason).

The best way to contact support is via the admin panel; Support -> Contact Support -> Submit Support Request.

I am sure they will resolve the issue for you. Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )