Publishing Dilemma

Hello,

My knowledge of website publishing is extremely limited, as I specialize in design for print. However, I’ve just created a brand new portfolio site in Dreamweaver CS5, and have uploaded all files to the Dreamhost server. The URL is indigodesignstudio.net

When I initially tried to view the site live, I still got the default Dreamweaver landing page (the one that said “indigodesignstudio.net Coming Soon”), so I deleted the landing page file and the favicon .gifs along with the folder they were in from the server, thinking that would solve the problem.

I’m afraid I’ve now royally messed something up, as when I attempt to view the site now, I get the following error message:

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

In my Dreamweaver “Files” remote view window, I see all my files up on the server, including the index and all supporting files, so am not sure what’s wrong.

Any insight as to what the problem may be would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tania

so did you upload everything, including your index to ~/indigodesignstudio.net? It needs to be there or, if you want to store it in a different place, you need to set that place in the panel.

Hello and thank you very much for your response. The files were not actually inside the indigodesignstudio.net folder. In fact, the indigodesignstudio.net folder was the one I deleted when I was attempting to get rid of that default landing page.

I just did a test and recreated indigodesignstudio.net, put the index page inside that, and am now able to see it live. Will continue to place all other files there as well.

Thank you SO much, I really appreciate your help!

Tania

you have to put it there because you can have multiple sites in one user account. so the web server needs to know where to look for each site. there are variations, but that’s the easiest way.

Ah, that makes sense…I’ve now uploaded everything. Realizing I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me fixing text styles in the portfolio section. New to CSS too…

Again, thank you so much!