PS Vs Shared

Hi guys,

For those of you with the PS hosting…do you find that it’s more stable than the shared hosting?

I’m contemplating making the switch. My site has gone down more times than I care to mention, and while I could easily switch away, something about Dreamhost compels me :wink:

Let me know your experience with DreamHost PS.

Thanks!

The main difference is the ability to control your reserved memory and CPU.

If your site is failing due to lack of resources then VPS is the way to go.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

I get the feeling it’s because other users on his box are killing his server. How robust is PS against the server getting overloaded while you’re being a good user?

-Scott

My site is failing because of other users on the server, that’s what I’ve been told via support. So I am trying to determine whether PS is a better option.

This has been going on for months now, I asked to be moved to another server (shared) and was told I couldn’t be moved. I think that PS might be the way to go for some future projects I have in mind anyway so I figured why not try it?

If I can get this sorted, DreamHost will be perfect because for the most part the customer service is great and I love the control panel.

We’ll see.

p.s. I’m a she :wink:

Oh. “her” server, then. We need more gender-neutral words so I don’t embarrass myself. Again.

How long have you had your account here? It’s not unusual for all the new users to get lumped together on the same server, which means that a good portion of those new users will experiment with software that drags the server down. Eventually, it smoothes out. I’d just keep nagging Support when new problems pop up.

It seems out of line to have to pony up for a PS account just because other users are hammering your server. If you don’t need PS resources, then it doesn’t make sense to have to pay for them.

-Scott

I agree with Scott about them being out of line. If it’s definitely other users that are bringing your sites down then DreamHost should either kick them out, demand they get VPS, or move you onto another server. Of course with moving there’s no guarantee that your new server will have nicer neighbours, or that a bad one won’t join it in future.

So VPS is still a good option if you can justify the cost.

In regard to Scott’s query about robustness, you can set your own guaranteed resources, ensuring your applications will function no matter who’s doing what with their CPU and memory quota. Yours is always available for you when you need it.

You might be still reliant on shared filers in some setups but I do recall someone mentioning awhile ago that the new setups were heading for local disks (or a better system) - but that might have been “word on the street” so we’d need clarification from an official rep. As for the SQL side of things, it’s shared by default but you can opt-in for Private SQL as well.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

[quote]How long have you had your account here? It’s not unusual for all the new users to get lumped together on the same server, which means that a good portion of those new users will experiment with software that drags the server down. Eventually, it smoothes out. I’d just keep nagging Support when new problems pop up.

It seems out of line to have to pony up for a PS account just because other users are hammering your server. If you don’t need PS resources, then it doesn’t make sense to have to pay for them.[/quote]
I agree with Scott that anecdotally, the older your server, the better your neighbors.

I got PS service for the similar reasons to why the OP is considering it. I don’t want to be beholden to the good behavior of my neighbors. Yes, Dreamhost will kick them out when they find these bad neighbors, but in the meantime my house will be wrapped in toilet paper.

I have very low traffic sites but I want them to be available when people do hit them. This means I can get PS but fit within the minimal plan, so it’s not that much of a cash outlay for me.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I signed up in August 2008. Not sure if that’s still considered new, but less than a year :wink:

My sites are also not super high traffic, and I can use the minimum settings for PS…figured it shouldn’t cost me more than $25/month or so.

However, I agree that I shouldn’t have to move just because other people are messing up the server. I was told that I CAN’T move to another server by DH support.

7 months should be enough time for a server to settle down.

It’s not true that you can’t move to another server. It does happen at times for users who suffer endlessly with bad neighbors. If you nag them every time you have an outage, you increase the chance you’ll get moved to another server.

-Scott

I recently signed up for a DH PS, and it does use a local disk. So far I haven’t noticed any significant problems. I have seen it go down very briefly, but it’s much more consistent than shared hosting.

Also… DH PS supports lighttpd now!!! So, it will be able to handle a lot of traffic, even with few resources (as long as the content is static).

Click here or enter [color=#CC0000]FREEDOM3[/color] for $50 off and 3 free domains!

That’s cool about the local disk… I was wonder how a PS would help with “does you site have excessive I/O disk usage?” or something along those lines in their PS promo.
I also noticed they no longer have ‘dedicated hosting’ on their site. It was actually cheaper than the maxed out PS setup!