PS billing?

I just converted to PS – I’m a little confused on the billing.

Is it a flat fee up to the amount I specify? ie: 408 MHz of CPU time and 408 MB for $40.80/month. (Burstable to 2300 MHz / 816 MB)

or do I only pay for CPU/memory usage.

It isn’t quite clear what I’m actually paying.

For example if I set the slider at 408/408 for $40.80/month but only use 150mhz/150mb do I still pay the $40.80 rate?

Thanks,
Anthony Ettinger

In short, you’re stuck with the $40.80 / month. If you can’t summon an explanation yourself, here’s mine:

A regular hosting account is like the local gym. They have enough treadmills for everybody to use… but they’re also betting on the fact that not everybody shows up at once, right? This is called overselling, which is a practice which many many many hosts (including DreamHost) participate in. As much as the competition bashes it, it’s not that bad because, like at the local gym, not everybody shows up at once, and some people don’t even show up at all. Which means that, barring a really really big spike, the YMCA and DreamHost are safe.

A PS is different. A PS is like going to the gym and saying, “Dammit! I want you to make sure that I have my own treadmill here, and that nobody else uses it!” With a PS, you are guaranteed your 408 MHz CPU, and your 408 MB RAM. Nobody else can use it. Let’s go back to the personal treadmill example… your gym says they’ll set one aside for you, but it’ll cost you a lot more than your regular membership. Would it be practical for them to charge you less if you weren’t on your treadmill 24 / 7? Of course not! They still have to power it, maintain it, make sure nobody else touches it, etc. And so, even if you don’t use all 408 MHz of your CPU, they’re still setting it aside just for you (meaning they aren’t overselling), so they can’t charge you less or else it would be a really bad deal for them.

Hope this helped,
Eric

SFT_DOM_IP_50 - one EXTRA lifetime domains, 1 lifetime unique ip, $50 off
Also try, SFT_3DOM_50; SFT_DOM_STUFF
Want a custom promo code? PM me

Thanks, that explains it.

My traffic has some peaks once a week or so, needing 1048 but most of the time 300 will do. Guess there’s no real way to keep it up AND pay the minimum amount for 98% of my needs.

I’m a little frustrated because DH said switching to PS would fix my svn problem for Capistrano. It didn’t, and now they are saying they prefer to keep me on the PS.

I’m still giving the PS thing a go for a month to see how much it really takes for my 66 domains (most of which get virtually no traffic).

Alas, even DreamHost is not free from some levels of money-grubbing.

SFT_DOM_IP_50 - one EXTRA lifetime domains, 1 lifetime unique ip, $50 off
Also try, SFT_3DOM_50; SFT_DOM_STUFF
Want a custom promo code? PM me

I should put up and shut up :slight_smile:

You’re talking about CPU, not memory, right? Because you can’t burst above 200% of your memory.

Speculating about some other universe, they might be able to structure it that way, but would have to charge a lot of money for the guarantee when you used it.

What exactly was your svn problem on Capistrano?

BTW, one thing that happens when you switch to PS is that it becomes really obvious how much CPU and memory your account takes up. And when it becomes obvious to support that your site is eating a not-insignificant part of a server’s resources, they are very hesitant to switch you back.

Dunno if it interests you, but support did mention to me that I could open two accounts - one PS and one non-PS, and allocate my sites between the two.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I’m talking about both CPU and memory, as an example I meant moving the slider to 1080mb/1080mhz but for the most part (aside from the spikes I refer to) 300mb/300mhz is fine.

My original question was if I had the slider at 1080, would I pay the full amount, even if I only peaked at 300mhz? It sounds like yes, from the other responses.

I can understand the position DH is in with my resource usage on a shared plan. It kind of let me get away with not having to block spammers and automated requests for awhile. Now I’m dealing with that issue more effectively since it directly effects my uptime and monthly billing.

The svn problem I refer to, and perhaps you might be able to validate this, is that my svn repository is on my home computer, and Capistrano defaults to an “export” being executed on the DH server pulling my code from my home box. When I try this it gets killed with signal 15.

Command is something like this:

machine.dreamhost $ svn list svn+ssh://myhomebox.com/path/to/project/repository
file1
file2

Killed by signal 15.

I tried the command on a few other servers and it worked fine. I seem to recall DH banning outbound ssh connections (“ssh tunneling” more specifically) about a year ago – which would explain why the svn+ssh:// url gets killed (although nobody in support has confirmed that yet).

DH support told me if I upgraded, the process would no longer be killed since I would have more resources. Upon upgrading (and sliding the resource bar all the way up) it still is being killed every time.

Mmm. Have you analyzed how much resource the command is using? Or do you think it’s definitely the outbound ssh that’s being killed?

Perhaps you could try interactively ssh’ing to your home machine or something as a test (just about any other machine would do, I’d think).

BTW, thanks for the explanation about the other stuff. It makes everything clear to me!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Yes, i’ve tried an interactive ssh (it works fine).

I distinctly recall “tunneling” in an email awhile back.

Something about people sending torrent traffic from their office over the DH network for later downloading.

Either way, its the only explanation I can come up with – the svn manual says “svn ssh://” opens a reverse ssh tunnel to the svn server.

[quote]Yes, i’ve tried an interactive ssh (it works fine).

I distinctly recall “tunneling” in an email awhile back. [/quote]
It’s my understanding that what “svn+ssh://” does is remotely invoke svnserve on the remote machine using ssh.

What seems “odd” to me is that ssh and sftp both tunnel all their traffic through an ssh tunnel, so I’m not sure how tunneling is restricted, other than using the blanket restriction from the process killer for long-running processes.

Then again, perhaps I’m making the same “mistake” as the support person who told you that things would be better under PS. My best guess is that the process killer was killing your local svn client program that’s connecting to the remote svnserve.

I don’t use sftp so I wouldn’t know.

All I can tell you is ssh between home <=> dh works fine…but the svn+ssh:// command which tunnels the connection gets killed.

It isn’t a resource issue…it happens after about .05 seconds of running the command. As soon as data is returned it is killed.

All other ssh commands that I use are from home => dh, which is never a problem.