Proxy

Alright,

I’m a new customer, and love the service so far. I work 7 days in a row in an office where we can’t even look at some news websites, as the company firewall filters it as “streaming media”.

Is there anyway, I can use my new account, to setup some type of proxy, where, while I am working, I can setup my internet to use the proxy on my account, and bypass my company’s firewall?

Thanks in advance.

Customers have reported varying degree of success using proxies on DreamHost shared servers.

From the TOS:

“Servers are shared with other customers, and as such IRC-related activities or severely CPU intensive CGI scripts (e.g. chat scripts, proxy scripts, scripts which have bugs causing them to not close properly after being run) are not encouraged.”

Some customers have run “private” proxies (not available to the public, protected by apache authentication, etc.) that are “lightly used”, and for their use only, without any trouble. Others have had their accounts suspended, or their proxies disabled, by having public proxies that are heavily used and are overloading the server.

That said, it appears that “YMMV”. :slight_smile:

Of course, you might also consider that your employer may not take too kindly to you subverting any applicable workplace surfing rules, or their firewall, in any event - but that is another matter. I suggest you carefully check your workplace rules for indication of what is acceptable use of the company’s computers, as that may be at least as important as your ability to get around the firewall to reach desired content (you could always use a generally available public proxy server for that matter). :wink:

–rlparker

I don’t use a company computer, I just use the company internet. Right now, I’m using my personal laptop, connected to the office wifi.

I hardly doubt that my browsing will cause my account to be suspended…

But, you didn’t answer my question, is it possible, and if so, how?

Ah, I see. Then I would also suggest that you carefully check your workplace rules for indication of what is acceptable use of the company’s internet connectivity resources, etc - though it appears you missed the whole point of that warning. The company firewalled certain things for a reason - it may be to protect their computers, and it it may be to prevent certain types of surfing at work, or both. :wink:

Well then I wouldn’t worry about it … :wink:

Sure I did. You question was:

[quote] “Is there anyway, I can use my new account, to setup some type of proxy, where, while I am working, I can setup my internet to use the proxy on my account, and bypass my company’s firewall?”
[/quote]
My answer was “YMMV”. Some customers have done it, and they have had varying degrees of success.

You never asked “how” to do it, only if “is there any way” to do it. If I had understood more clearly what you wanted to know, I might have answered differently.

At any rate, you can install a proxy script in your server space. There are several around (hotscripts.com?) - many people like CGIProxy, but there are others. If you install such a script and want to keep it exclusively for your use (and unavailable to the public) make sure you configure it that way (apache authentication, program configurations settings, etc.). :slight_smile:

–rlparker