Properly setting FTP privs?

Trying to edit an FTP user so that they can upload/move/rename files and folders, but can’t delete files or folders. Haven’t seen anything in the control panel about privileges, and I searched these forums.

Sorry, but there is no way to do that. This Dreamhost Wiki article on *nix permissions explains how this works. Having a file or directory (folder) set with “write” permission for a user, which is needed to allow a user to “modify” a file (which included renaming and moving, and in the case of a "directory - uploading to) also allows them to delete, which is a “write” operation. :wink:

–rlparker

As I understand it, the possible Unix user/group permissions for a directory or file are READ, WRITE and EXECUTE. To “upload/move/rename” a file a user would need WRITE permission for the particular file, which would also enable them to delete that file.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

funny you posted my exact question. i wanted to create a sort of blind ftp drop or a type where someone can create but not delete. It can be done, but i only know how to do it in windows. If the dreamhost admins are running the windows server OS then they can set it for you, but i doubt they would offer that service.

I believe all DreamHost servers are running the Debian Linux operating system.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

That is a different issue altogether, and can be done via script programming (after the file is received its permissions are changed by the script, etc.)

What the original poster asked can not be done on a Linux (Debian) system, which is what Dreamhost uses on their servers :wink: .

–rlparker

welps thats out of my rhealm. Dunno if they have such advanced properties. You would figure the *nix series OS’s would. They usually have more leniency as far as code goes.

woooo do tell!

Like any programming problem, the way you approach it is somewhat dependent upon the features of the programming language and OS you are using. Some examples of changing permissions via a shell script on Dreamhost can be found in this Dreamhost Wiki article on Unix Groups, where you can view sample shell scripting code to manipulate permissions :wink:

–rlparker