Promo question

Hi, I’m not currently a customer, but I’m thinking of signing up.

One question: If I use a promo code to sign up for a plan, can I sign up for a second plan and use a promo there too?

I’ve read some of the previous posts, but I’m still not clear whether it’s one-code-per-new-customer or one-code-per-plan. Any help would be appreciated!

No, this is not permitted.

The following quote is from the DreamHost panel;

[color=#0000CC]Promo codes only work for totally new customers (not for an existing customer adding more services).[/color]

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks for the clarification.

No problem, glad to help where I can. :slight_smile:

I should note that DreamHost prices are very good, even without using a promo-code.

Also, the DreamHost rewards system does make it quite easy to make the hosting pay for itself. If you can refer as few as one or two new customers per year, your hosting can effectively be free :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I think you can sign up for a second plan using the promo code but you would need to use a different credit card…

Use the coupon code [color=#CC0000]60DOLLARS[/color] when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant [color=#CC0000]$60 off[/color]!

DreamHost might consider this to be something of a fraudulent act, however.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

While using a second credit card / billing address is no doubt technically possible, DreamHost has deemed that promo-codes are for the use of new customers only.

Mark

Fraud? Oh my.

Heh, it’s nothing quite so sinister. I want to get my brother a domain (of his-first-name-dot-com) as a surprise early birthday present. And have it hosted by dreamhost. So, I’d sign up and pay for using my name and my address and my CC. (I can’t use my bro’s and still have it be a surprise.)

LOL, it’d hardly be a good prezzie if I tell him: “Happy birthday, I swiped your CC to get you this.”

But I would also like to sign up for a second plan. In a few weeks, my contract ends with a web host who is hosting one of my existing domains. So, I was thinking of transferring my old domain to dreamhost.

So, two plans will be in my name. But I will want to transfer the domain ownership and hosting of one to my brother shortly after signing up. My brother and I have the same billing address.

What I might end up doing is sign up for just one plan and use it to host both domains. Reading some of the archived posts in the other forums, it seems that I can allocate disk space and bandwidth on a per-domain basis. I don’t think I’d use all 20 Gigs of disk space.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. These forums are a great resource.

That’s probably what I’d do under the cirumstances. The DreamHost panel allows you to create a different WEBID (panel login) for your brother and grant him privilages for his domain, so he can administer it himself.

With 1TB of bandwidth, you are unlikely to run into any bandwidth problems, unless the sites have a lot of traffic.

As for disk space, 20 GByte is quite a bit and I should note that for the level one plan this increases by 160 MByte per week, as a kind of loyalty bonus. Bandwidth also increases by 8 GByte per week).

Mark

Thanks for the tip about the WEBID. That’s exactly what I need.