Promo Codes and Renewals

Hi everyone,

I’m brand new here and I have a (dumb?) question.

I understand that the $97 affiliate payout is a one-time
payment, but it’s not clear to me if this is one-time ever.

If, for example, I sign someone up with a promo code on
an annual payment, is that promo code attached to them
on annual renewals also? If not, does the referrer receive
a commission on the renewal?

Thanks,

Paul

[quote]If not, does the referrer receive
a commission on the renewal?[/quote]
No, if you have your rewards payment set to one-time payment you only receive a rewards payment for your referrals initial sign-up. You will also receive a $5 secondary rewards payment for anyone that they refer.

However, if you have your rewards set to 10% recurring, you will receive 10% of the initial purchase plus 10% of any renewals (or any other purchases they make with DreamHost). You will also receive 5% of purchases made by any people that they refer.

Edit: I should point out that the 10% recurring does not apply to anyone that has used one of your promo-codes. Such referrals are automatically set to one-time rewards. Also, a promo-code only provides a discount on the initial purchase, any subsequent renewals will be at the normal plan cost.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks Mark.

I appreciate the quick response.

Paul

No problems Paul, I am glad I could help.

The whole promo-code / referral system can seem a little complex at first, but trust me, it all makes sense once you read the info in the rewards section of the panel a couple of times. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Hello Mark!

If we choose the 10% - 5% option, which kind of discount can we give? What can we offer to our visitors? A %, a fixed ammount, or nothing?

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Nothing :frowning:

Well, I believe you can still offer promo-codes and these will still provide a discount to the new customer, but anyone who signs-up using one of your promo-codes will automatically be set to a one-time reward payment.

Anyone who signs-up not using a promo code, following an affiliate link for example, will be set to 10% recurring.

Mark

Oh… Better stick with the $ promo codes then… I want to give the best possible discount codes to my visitors, to help them with their first year of hosting.

Thank you, Mark!!

:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

My rewards are set to ‘one-time payment’, I have never posted my direct affiliate link anywhere and I still get the occasional 5% recurring referral in my list. Maybe those that use my promo-code have theirs set to recurring.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

[ quote ]
Edit: I should point out that the 10% recurring does not apply to anyone that has used one of your promo-codes. Such referrals are automatically set to one-time rewards. Also, a promo-code only provides a discount on the initial purchase, any subsequent renewals will be at the normal plan cost.

Mark
[ / quote ]

Hey, I have this question:

“Such referrals are automatically set to one-time rewards.” So, see an example: I make a promo code, with the max. discount of USD 97, right? The user signs up, uses the discount (promo code), and EVEN if I have my referral system set up to “10%, 5%”, in this particular case, such referral is automatically set to one-time rewards. One-time reward (the USD 97) are DEDUCTED from my PROMO code, right? So, 97 - 97 = 0, or I get nothing? Because I have used the promo code with the maximum possible discount (97 dollars), so I get nothing now. BUT! I get nothing the next time the user pays to DreamHost, BECAUSE after he has used a PROMO CODE, “…10% recurring does not apply to anyone that has used one of your promo-codes…”. So, what do I get in this case? I am not sure I understand well… plus, what do people GET from creating 97 USD discounts, in this case?..

Hmmm… Maybe I just do not understand well…

Thx in advance for explaining to me slower :wink:

–Michel

I can be a bit confusing. Per your example, in your case, you get $5.00 from every “secondary” referral (someone who signs up using the promo of the person who signed up using your promo code)

Just like above - the “new” user saves up to $97.00 off their first year’s hosting, and the user offering the promo code has a potential for a $5.00 secondary referral.

For some who are offering a $97.00 promo code, the reasoning is that “the possibility of getting $5.00 ‘every now and then’ is better than getting nothing now” - thinking that since there are so many $97 (max discount) promo codes out there, offering less might not get their promo codes used at all, as new users are likely to use one of the “max” codes. :wink:

Interestingly enough, this thinking is not always correct, as there are some new users who will take a smaller discount, and pass some reward to the user that referred them, because they want to share, or “thank” the person offering the “lesser discount” for help they have received, or for some other reason (for example, using a promo code with a smaller discount because the user offering the promo code is donating the proceeds of their promo code to a charity, allows a user to save some money and help a charity at the same time!). :wink:

For many (possibly most?) who offer the $97 (max) discount codes, the chance of a future $5.00 reward doesn’t really have anything to do with their decision - they just want to give the maximum discount to the new users because they are sharing individuals who are more interested in being able to “pass on” savings to others than they are in making money from the use of Promo Codes. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

DreamHost restricts the max discount you can offer on monthly plans to somewhat less than $97, so if the person used your promo-code to sign-up for a monthly plan you would receive a rewards payment.

Also, as rlparker said, you would receive a $5 reward for each secondary referral.

Mark

Thx for he replies! Now all is much more clear for me! :slight_smile:

Lemme first make a website with enough popularity, then I will see, what’s the best way of promoting Dreamhost :wink:

–Michel

I have dozens of direct referrals from whom I don’t get anything (I give the maximum discount, as other people), and I do get a secondary $5 for each member my referrals get.

But from all the several dozens of direct referrals I have, I only got 3 secondary referrals ($15). So why do I do it? Because in my first year with DH I used such a discount code, and it helped me a lot at that time, so I want to pass the same to others.

So you really have 2 options. Choose the one time $97 maximum reward, or the recurring 10%.