Promo code

hi, i am new to dreamhost.
i signed up for a hosting plan before i know of the promo code. is there no other way way for me to get the discount besides to cut the plan after the 12 months run out and open a new account?
thanks

You can try contacting DreamHost and explaining the situation, they may, or may not, be able to apply a promo-code for you retrospectively.

If you signed-up using a credit-card, you could always take advantage of the 97 day money back guarantee and then sign-up again. Although, you will not be refunded for the ‘free’ domain registration and I think you would need to use a different credit-card for the second purchase.

Overall, unless DreamHost can retrospectively apply a promo-code for you, I don’t think anything else is really worth the effort. After all, DreamHost is exceptional value, even at the full price :slight_smile:

Edit: After further investigation, I don’t think you have much chance of DreamHost applying a promo-code for you ‘after the fact’. The sign-up page clearly states “You may not change/submit a promo code or referrer after you’ve finished signing up.”

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

thanks for the reply.
If I do really take advantage of the 97 day money guarantee, what would happen to my domains that are under the hosting plan?
i agree that even at full price, the plan is a real bargain
but i would like to support the 90 promo, as i heard that dreamhost would match with $7 to charity.

Good question. As far as I know, the only methods that can be used to directly transfer a domain registration from one DreamHost account to another are contacting support and having them do it, or merging the two accounts. Since merging is not allowed if one of the accounts was purchased using a promo-code, at least not for the first 12 months, this leaves the support method, which given the circumstances, may not be advisable.

Perhaps your best option would be to refer a friend or two to DreamHost (if possible), the resulting rewards payments would offset your renewal costs for next year.

Yep, any money donated by customers using the Charity section of the admin panel is equally matched by DreamHost. One more reason to donate to a good cause. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

It sucks that you missed out on a discount, but if I were you I would just accept it and move on. starting up a new account and moving things across sounds like it would be a major hassle and its not like the hosting is overpriced.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

you can always donate the $7 yourself through the panel, dreamhost will still match it :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

ah ha… I had the same problems as yours. I did not use any promo code to sign up a plan. Here is what I did.

1. first contacxt dreamhost. ask them to cancel the plan I signed up.

2. make sure I’ve got the refund. It took too much time to get response from the support team. (make sure mark your emails as URGRENT). but they did refund in 24 hours once we cleared the situation.

3. sign up with a new plan. the system will warn you that the domain is already in the system. (the domain was registered with the previous plan). but does not matter, just sign up with a free dreamhost sub-domain like abc.dreamhost.com

4. make payment with promo code. you can use mine 97MONEY. you’ll get $97 off. (dreamhost won’t give $7 dollar go any charity. they will give $7 to the promo code owner.) so $97 is the max discount you can have.

5. once the new plan is approved. contact dreamhost support team again and ask them to transfer ur previous domain name to the new plan. they’ll do this within 24 hours.

END

very troublesome, isn’t it? I wasted almost one week to re-sign up the plan. But finally I got the $97 off… it is still worth to do it. Good luck

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

Suck it up and live with it. (It happened to me too, but I have got to say that my experience has been worth all that I paid.)

One critical thing to know is that the promo code ONLY works for signup. You cannot use it to renew.

Wholly

Minovsky is talking about my promo code. DreamHost may not give directly any money for a charity, but I do that. Until the end of the year anyone who use my $90 off code (90promo), the remaining $7 will go to a charity organization.
Sometime ago I already donated to Santa’s Helpers, and now I already have around $250 to give again, but to other charity.

In 2007 I will gather all my donations from other affiliate programs in just one donation to Unicef.org

But if anyone wants, I have the $97 off code. They get the full discount, like so many other members offer here, but no money will be given to the charity.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

[quote]now I already have around $250 to give again, but to other charity.

[/quote]

Wow. Where else do you advertise your site/code?

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

Very cool of you! Consider giving to “Child’s Play” next time.

A great charity with a tech flavor.

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

Wholly

I have more than 200 sites, some online for almost 10 years. I have more than 10,000 posts written all around the web.
So a signature here isn’t as important as some people think, and even fight about that :slight_smile:

I think it was the first time I even post my code in a post, but this concerned me, so I had to reafirm that what Minovsky saw was correct.

Starting 2007, instead of donating through DreamHost, I will gather all the money from this, and dozens of other affiliate programs I work with (hence my user name) and give a big check to Unicef. This is my resolution for 2007.

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile: