Process jabber messages with a script

software development

Hi,

I would like to programmatically react to some incoming messages on my dh jabber account.

One way to do that would be to keep connected to the local server and wait for messages, but that would mean a persistent process which – if I understand correctly – is not welcome here.

However, there seems to be another option: some jabber server implementations allow users to add hooks for common events to call external scripts, making it possible to process them the way we use procmail for incoming mail.

My question is whether such a configuration is possible at dreamhost. If yes, can I activate it myself or do I need assistance from an admin?
(Are there any other ways/possibilities to implement this?)

thanks,
htamas

bump

I am interested in an answer to this request too.

Like Google AppEngine, we could create our own chat bots and add them to our contact lists like

mychatbot@myappatdreamhost.com

and send messages back and forth to our own apps from jabber, bringing the real-time web to our apps.

That would be cool.

[quote]I am interested in an answer to this request too.

Like Google AppEngine, we could create our own chat bots and add them to our contact lists like

mychatbot@myappatdreamhost.com[/quote]
You’d have to signup for DreamHostPS and do-it-yourself as they aren’t going to offer something like that for shared hosting due to limits on resources.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org