Problems with email administration

Problems with email administration:

I created a bill of account email “tests”, with only 2MB of size. I send a message from the gmail for this account test, stored in dreamhost, with size of 16MB, and for my fright the message arrived.

The account test was with limited size in 2MB and it accepted a message with size of 16MB. This indicates that it doesn’t happen the limitation of the email boxes, according to the parameter: “Panel - Mail - Create New Email Address - Limit total disk usage”

I have some doubt:
1 - would like to know this parameter has some value, because for the what seems it it doesn’t limit the mailbox in the emails entrance?
2 - if all of the email boxes, doesn’t have size limit, could this overload the server and to leave him slower?
3 - in “Panel - Status - Bandwidth usage”, don’t I see anything regarding traffic of data in emails?
4 - in “Panel - Status - Disk Usage”, all the email bills are always “<10MB”, and is the total always 0=(zero)?
5 - the pastes “cur/new/tmp” in folder “Maildir” in FTP area, are always empty for all of the domains. Does this indicate that all of the email messages are stored out of the area of FTP?
6 - as I can know the busy space for email in a domain?
7 - as I can know the traffic used by the sending and reception of email messages in a domain?
8 - should not I worry about space or email traffic in the dreamhost? That is definitive or temporary?
9 - do I see the people complain of slowness, but the liberation of these limits, cannot it commit the speed and quality of our services?

I worry about this, because I want to bring all my domains for dreamhost, and I want to have long life with speed and stability in all of the services.

I await their answers, and at once I thank.

Scharf

[quote]I created a bill of account email “tests”, with only 2MB of size. I send a message from the gmail for this account test, stored in dreamhost, with size of 16MB, and for my fright the message arrived.

The account test was with limited size in 2MB and it accepted a message with size of 16MB. This indicates that it doesn’t happen the limitation of the email boxes, according to the parameter: “Panel - Mail - Create New Email Address - Limit total disk usage”[/quote]
It is important to note that quota settings, and tests fro compliance, only happen once per day. This is important becuase if you set up a quota for a user/account today, it will not be enforced until sometime after the next quota processing routine is run - in the meantime, you will still be runnng with the previous, if any, quota. It also mean that a quota will not be determinied to have been exceeded until after it has happened and the next quota processing routine is run.

This is why DreamHost warns that you should set quotas (particularly in the bandwidth area) with some “buffer” so that it will be enforced a closely as possible to what you intend.

For example, if I may want an user to only use a maximun of 50MB pf disk storage, I might set his quota to 25-30 MB in hopes of him never breaking 50MB before the quota is evaluated. :wink:

As for your other questions:

See previous discussion above. Yes it does have a value, but it is subject to the way the quota system works.

It’s not likely to impact the speed of the webserver (email is a different machine than the web server)

Bandwidth usage is determined by user not domain or website

No. Quotas are updated daily, so you won’t see accurate statistics until the following day.

No, but note that only full machine users have such directories and ftp space . Email only users do not, and you cannot directly manipulate their Maildirs.

I’m sorry, but I do not understand that question - you can track used (“busy”?) email space by user, or by domain

Not that I am aware of.

I don’t believe email traffic (bandwidth) is a concern (I don’t know that it is even metered) but you should worry about disk storage space if you think there is any chance that you might exceed your account quota.

I’m not sure what you are asking here, but I do not see any relationship between the bandwidth and disk storage usage and the “speed” of web server processing.

–rlparker