Problems sending email

Hi,

I have contacted support but no results so far, and would greatly appreciate any help.

I can receive email but not send. I have adjusted server settings per recent requirements so not sure what I am doing wrong. They are:

Outgoing settings (using Thunderbird)

[quote]Server name: mail.‘domainname’.com
Port 25
User name mail.‘domainname’.com
Secure connection: None

[/quote]

‘domainname’ is of course the domain without the ’ '.

I am entering the correct password since this works for getting into the mailbox manager within the dreamhost site.

There are work emails to send this afternoon, so thanks for your help!

J

Try port 587. There’s mention of that in the wiki article.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Thunderbird

-Scott

Hi,

Thanks, yes I tried that. It asks for password then it doesn’t go through. I know the password is correct since I am using the same one to get into dreamhost web mail box manager.

Is there any other setting that needs to be changed?

J

Your original post has a user name of mail.example.com, when it should be user@example.com

-Scott

THANK YOU!!!

I’m glad it worked out. It looks like it was so easy that both of us missed it.

Don’t forget to cancel your trouble ticket.

-Scott

im having a similar prob with setting up my email. in my case, im using the linux distr “puppy”, but the email program looks the same as the screenshots for “thunderbird” on the wiki page. what im getting stuck on:

whats my user name? i know it should be _____@dreamhost.com…is user name the same as user name for email?
and the password eludes me. password for logging into the dreamhost web panel ?

please let me know if you can be of assistance,
thanks!
jenn

[quote]whats my user name? i know it should be _____@dreamhost.com…is user name the same as user name for email?
and the password eludes me. password for logging into the dreamhost web panel ?[/quote]

Your “thunderbird” program is an e-mail client.

Your e-mail address will be based on your domain, not dreamhost.com - for example if your domain was example.com then your e-mail address will be localpart@example.com

You should use your e-mail address when an e-mail client asks for your username.

The password is your mailbox password. While you can certainly use the same password if you want, the mailbox account and the web panel account are separate and so the passwords may be different.

If you forgot the mailbox password, in the Web Panel browse to “Mail -> Manage Mail” and find your mailbox. Click on “Edit” to change the password - it will take some time for the change to take effect, perhaps 15 minutes.

When the e-mail client asks for the incoming (IMAP/POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) server names, you should use a mail.* hostname. For example for the domain example.com the server name to give would be mail.example.com

However if you want a secure e-mail connection use *.mail.dreamhost.com - replace * with the name of your e-mail server (click on Account Status in the Web Panel)

The Thunderbird account wizard summary might look like this:

Account Name: John Doe
Email Address: localpart@example.com
Incoming User Name: localpart@example.com
Incoming Server Name: mail.example.com
Incoming Server Type: IMAP
Outgoing User Name: localpart@example.com
Outgoing Server Name (SMTP): mail.example.com

:cool: openvein.org -//-

dear Atropos7,
thanks! dont know how i made this so difficult…
works perfectly
jenn