Problem writing files to server

dude, you are indeed the bomb. unfortunately, you are the only help I’ve gotten so far… 1 day 20hrs into the first support ticket marked, “I cant proceed without an answer”… call it what you will, but I simply find that unexceptable. I just ordered new hosting and am moving this site over to it as soon as I can. Its NOT a question of scripts anymore, its a matter of feeling secure about my time and energy, and if you take into account all the time I lost by not having a 15min phone call with a good tech… well… let’s not waste any MORE talking about it:) But, besides the on/off thing, that’s the only time I’ve ever asked them for anything (besides when my site was down and they told me the server died and was being replaced) so it’s not like I’m asking for very much… a couple of tickets a year because they had something configured differently should be fair game… alright I’ll shut up:)

[quote]Google
[/quote]

…oh yeah, thx, almost forgot the spider bait…
Popscript.Com > PHP MySpace Gold Edition (non-aff link) - http://www.popscript.com/scripts/php-design-code-a/social-networking/php-myspace-gold-edition-8-0-4/prod_614.html

[quote]popscript
[/quote]

• BTW the script can run on php4 or 5 with register_globals on OR off…
  • Here is another thing that was told to me by Larry… people were stealing the script, selling it as THEIR own and THEN, on top of it, sending the buyers to his site for SUPPORT! Now how bad would that piss you off? OK, again, I can’t cross reference that, but since he has statements all over the site saying that, I bet there is some truth in it. And if so, then that would mean maybe those scripts flying around may NOT have been his TO support… and if they are out of his control because it was stolen by theives, I might be inclined to think maybe THEY removed the notice… you get me? any jackass (myself included) can walk in to a place and light someone up mistakingly… eheheheh I’d even say it happens more than not:)

[quote]clients
[/quote]

hey, you mentioned ‘clients’… since you have already donated time and thought to the project, why not come in, and if things appear to be done to your expectations, please consider allowing me to hire you to help me get this pig washed up pretty so I can take it to the state fair? I need help… if nothing else, consultation that I can show the next guy so HE can do it. I need someone with a grasp of the big picture so they understand the confines (as well as our assets) and get some wheels under my little engine:)

You can use the contact form on the site I listed, if you are interested in talking farther BUT put “<<<<<<<< rlparker >>>>>” in your subject line or I’ll NEVER get it… get it?:slight_smile: If not, I sincerly appreciate your thoughts and opinions, as well as the time you have taken to articulate them… you are indeed most generous:)

Thank you

Hey, I’m just happy to try to give you a little help, though I’m not sure we made as much progress as I would have like - we never got the puppy running on Dreamhost. :frowning: You are more than welcome to the input I’ve provided; my “pro bono” participation on these forums is my way of contributing something back to the internet community (many have helped me over the years, and I remember how important their help was to me!)

I’m sorry you are disappointed with your experience with Dreamhost support, but no one can fault you for feeling you need a better level of support than you received, and I hope you have more success with your next host.

As for the whole “my code”, “they stole it”, etc discussions, these issues will invariably arise when someone attempts to “commercialize” a popular and visible GPL licensed product; and should one try to do that, it is really hard, if not impossible, to preclude someone else from using “their” code if you distribute it.

Irrespective of what a person or company who modifies GPL code to this end would like to believe, the “viral” nature of the GPL will generally prevent “their code”, once distributed (even if "“sold”) from having a more restrictive license than the original code - that is the whole point of the GPL. In that context, it is not possible for anyone to “steal” that code, as it is “free.” At any rate, the Xoops Foundation people appear to have gotten to the bottom of it and it is therefor not your, or my, problem. :wink:

I’ll check in from time to time on your “in development” site and see how things are coming along; if I see an opportunity that makes sense (for your needs and my schedule) to be of further assistance on a “for hire” basis (my plate is pretty full right now), I’ll contact you via the contact form on your site or via a PM.

Either way, good luck with your project!

–rlparker

[quote]my way of contributing something back
[/quote]

yeah, I used to be the same way in different search engine forums… its a good way to be:)

[quote]Dreamhost support
[/quote]

… yeah that was indeed a big let down. Basically last night (about 22 hours ago) I finally got the long awaited reply. Basically they said that they don’t support 3rd party scripts and that I should try my luck in here:) So basically they didn’t ever answer the most basic question I asked, which was not to install/debug, but simply why none of my setting were being saved. However, the guy then said he would take a look at it (which was cool of him) but that was, like I said, almost 22 hrs ago, so I am just disappointed because I was dragging my feet on the move in case they came back, in the clutch, to save me all the hassle. It’s been days now… and thats just too long to wait for a fairly simple answer that should have been part of a FAQ, along with the work around, if there is one.

[quote]good luck with your project
[/quote]

…and with yours:)

adios

well, just in case anybody out there cares, DH, finally came back with their answer: they don’t debug scrips:)

I fired this back at them in the trouble ticket, and in their survey, but I thought it would fair to add this to this thread just in case others stumble upon such problems they wont have to wait the several days I did to figure out they are SOL…

, actually not to be rude, but you still have never answered the most basic question which was put to you a number of times now and which had nothing to do about debugging anything…

again, quoted from below,

[quote]just tell me what I was supposed to tell the guy that said this:

“I even made sure the chmod settings were correct and no matter what
they will not save. You are going to have to get with your web host and
ask them why you can not save any files. Tell them that chmod does not
work for your account to be able to save files”

[/quote]

…so, if you don’t mind, please just answer that simple question and I think we’ll be done here. In fact after waiting 4+ days now to get a “we dont debug scripts answer” is just flat out lame as #$%^, imho. I’m sure you are a very capable tech… your company needs to hire more people like you so that they don’t waste so much of my time. Charge for it. raise your prices. do something… but your efforts at responding to this are completely underwhelming for how much your sales team brags about you.

you get me? I’m not mad that you dont debug scrips… I’m mad it took you days to respond to me to tell me that. I’m also irritated you never answered the questions put to you, and instead just fired off responses.

… so basically what could have been resolved by one phone call, or a single trouble ticket answered in a timely fashion could have saved me literally days of waiting.

Anyway, got to roll… good luck

That’s pretty frustrating. In all fairness, though, you probably should have seen that coming, as I pointed it out several days ago. :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]I pointed it out several days ago

[/quote]

…you indeed did. And you did so within a useful timeframe that allowed me to make decisions affecting what is important to me.

…the problem though is THEY did not. For me, this is not a question of permissions or bugs, it is a question of being hung out to dry by non-existant tech support that I thought had my back for the last year. The question PUT to them was not if they would support/debug/install/get me a glass of water, but rather, why my settings were not behaving the way I expected them to. And THAT question was NEVER answered by THEM, and the answer they offered, came DAYS (going on a week) late.

You see what I’m saying? I’m not upset at all that they they won’t mess with it, I’m furious that it took them days to even RESPOND to me. And then after they did and asked me for my pw to login (which I admitted before was a generous offer) it took them 2 days to tell me that the script was too technical and that they didn’t have time to deal with it. Thats like ordering dinner and having the waiter come back out after 2 hours and tell you they don’t actually have the the thing you ordered. It’s not like the guy spent more than 5 mins on the thing, why did it take 1 day and 19 hours to respond after they asked me for my pw, and offer me some small hope they could do something?

Basically, you and i know its easy to defend their position as to why they dont support scripts, but, to me, this is only secondary to tech support’s primary goal of respecting their clients and attempting to solve their problems, in a timely fashion, to the best of their ability. And THAT is where they failed fairly miserably and THAT is the ONLY problem I have with their ‘response’. If you can’t/won’t help, fine… just let me know so I can move on instead of waiting on you. Seems to me a fairly reasonable request given that when I signed up it was my understanding that at least THAT need would be met. Timestamps dont lie and either do I:)

Dogboy,

You get no argument from me about anything you wrote in your last post. I’d be frustrated too. I’d have been satisfied if I got that response within 24 hours (as that is what I’ve become accustomed to, and have come to expect), and probably would have been “OK” with it if it took a little longer, after I received the “It’s been 24 hours, and we have not forgotten you but we’re a little bit swamped” email - but to wait a total of four days only to get that answer would have “frosted” me as well. :frowning:

I really hate it when someone has such an experience, especially since Dreamhost has handled my business so well. Hopefully, you made your point with the Dreamhost Honchos that read your “survey” response (and are likely to see your post(s)) and they will make an effort to address the issue so others don’t have a similar experience. Regards…

–rlparker

Disclaimer: I only quickly glanced at previous discussions.

asked me for my pw to login (which I admitted before was a generous offer)

I think this is bad security practice, and shouldn’t be necessary since Support should have superuser access.

it took them 2 days to tell me that the script was too technical and that they didn’t have time to deal with it. Thats like ordering dinner and having the waiter come back out after 2 hours and tell you they don’t actually have the the thing you ordered. It’s not like the guy spent more than 5 mins on the thing,

OTOH, You don’t really know how long they spent on it. Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe they gave it a look, when they had a chance, and it really was too much for $7.95 or $1.85 or whatever per month. Maybe they were hoping to help you out, but it took them a while to get attention from a “script guy”.

Maybe it’s more like going to Hell’s Kitchen early in the season.

The slow Support cycle time IS frustrating at times, but they don’t hide that it’s to be expected, and they don’t hide that they don’t do 3rd party script support.

If something didn’t work as it should because of server setup problems, it is your responsibility to give them a simple example, not to expect them to debug something complicated you got from a 3rd party.

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

You make some good points…Your comment

My sense of it from being involved in the thread from the beginning is that when Dogboy said, “(support) asked me for my pw to login (which I admitted before was a generous offer)”, he was talking about the pw to login to the admin section of the script he had installed (which was a Xoops derivative - the pw would have been MD5’d in the MySQL database, so Support would not have (access to) it).

That tends to support your next point that, even though they don’t “support” 3rd party scripts, they may have been endeavoring to at least “look at it” - subsequently realizing a “simple” fix" was not indicated :wink:

Another lesson in all this could be that “no good deed goes unpunished”; the added delay to “look at” the script (which they didn’t have to do) may have only exacerbated the situation in that, since no fix was evident, the end result was to increase the user’s frustration. It looks like he would have been happier if they had just said, “Oh! Third Party Script - we can’t help you with that”, and been done with it. End result: When it comes to tech support duty, you just do the best you can and accept the fact that you will “win” some and “lose” others…

The whole situation only gets worse as the “lag time” grows, which only makes it harder on all those involved.

–rlparker

[quote]asked me for my pw to login
[/quote]

it was in fact for the script login…

[quote]subsequently realizing a “simple” fix" was not indicated
[/quote]

exactly my thoughts…

[quote]the added delay to “look at” the script […] exacerbated the situation [and] the end result was to increase the user’s frustration.
[/quote]

…again, exactly my thoughts.

[quote]If something didn’t work as it should because of server setup problems.
[/quote]

…you see THERE is the problem right there… how do I know its a server setup problem? Maybe the server is broken. Maybe somebody left the toilet seat up… I have no idea. I went in, installed a large, but extremely simple to install script and it didn’t work. So I kept trying. Finally I gave up and went back to the developer (who is obviously familiar with it, as well as installing it) and he ran into the same problem that I did except he pointed me in a direction that something was ‘wrong’ with the server not the script… it was only after I came in HERE that I learned this may have to do with ‘set up’.

[quote]it is your responsibility to give them a simple example, not to expect them to debug something complicated you got from a 3rd party.

[/quote]

… just to be painfully clear, I never asked (nor expected) them to debug ANYTHING, and said so in so many words, as evidence that I did not INITIALLY send them user/password access to login so that they would even be able to ATTEMPT to debug it. BUT, if they HAD told me this days ago, I would have been been able to do exactly that. But I actually just got that response back from them after sending them my last post. See what I mean? You walk in, even admit to not reading everything, and in your FIRST post, you point out EXACTLY what took them something like 7 tickets, and 4 or 5 days to say.

[quote]You are welcome to a refund.
[/quote]

…as with most things with me, its not about the money, its a matter of principle. I’m venting in here so they get my message loud and clear… its my way of dealing with smugness from companies that have grown large enough not to care about individual clients because they know there are 10 lined up behind me. In other words, it is my way of signing off on this incident as “The Unhappy DreamHost Customer” with hopes that they better understand the needs of some of their customers.

[quote]he would have been happier if they had just said, “Oh! Third Party Script - we can’t help you with that”, and been done with it.
[/quote]

…there you go, exactly! its the only valid point I have in here.

on Oct 29th, 2006 - 04:49:14 I wrote a trouble ticket with a subject of “19 hours and still no response?” trying to prompt them… on Oct 30th, 2006 - 13:40:10, AFTER THIRTY EIGHT HOURS of waiting for a response marked “I cant do anything until you respond” and with a subject of “19 HOURS AND STILL NO RESPONSE?” I finally get:

“Troublehsooting 3rd Party Software in beyond our scope of support. However, if you can provide me with the URL to script, I can take a quick look. Also, provide us with any type of login needed and exact steps to replicate the problem. I can also suggest that you consult our member forum http://discussion.dreamhost.com. Often times you can receive tips from other users who have encountered similar problems.”

…I don’t know what else to say. It sounds like we are all reasonable professionals in here. It has nothing to do with WHAT was said, it was WHEN it was said. That kind of lag time is unexcusable, unacceptable, and most importantly, unanticipated.

ok, I made my point… granted it isn’t in the right forum, but in my own defense, I didnt realize I had THIS problem until after I started posting about my script not working.

[quote]That kind of lag time is unexcusable, unacceptable, and most importantly, unanticipated.

[/quote]

Seems to me it should have been anticipated.

In order listed on public Support pages:

http://www.dreamhost.com/support.html
support wiki
The [color=#CC0000]absolute fastest way[/color] to get answers to most of your questions is to search through our extensive online documentation. Our wiki is maintained by both DreamHost staff and our most knowledgeable customers.

http://www.dreamhost.com/support-board.html
discussion board
Can’t find an answer in our wiki? Browse through our discussion forums. Some of our more knowledgable customers and a few of our employees frequent the forums on a regular basis.

Chances are if you can’t find it in the wiki, it’s already been answered in the forums!

[ In fact, slow Support responses have been discussed here numerous times. ]

http://www.dreamhost.com/support-status.html
status blog
Are you experiencing problems accessing your site? Scheduled downtime may be to blame!

http://www.dreamhost.com/support-contactus.html
contact us
When all else fails, you can contact our technical support team. [color=#00CC00]We strive to answer all emails within 24 hours[/color], and most are answered in [color=#CC0000]subtantially[/color] [sic] less time.

Some of our hosting plans even include a limited amount of ‘call-backs’ per month! Send us an email, request a call-back, and you’ll get a call…

[quote]>he would have been happier if they had just said, “Oh! Third Party Script - we can’t help you with that”, and been done with it.
…there you go, exactly! its the only valid point I have in here. [/quote]
Personally, I’d prefer them to give the extra effort even if it takes longer. I understand the frustration with taking longer and ultimately not helping anyway.

It’s just a sig’. :slight_smile:

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas