Problem with the server... My site is down!

Hi all, dreahost admin,

the server crashed ? unable to get to my site right now…

same for you ?

Stef

[quote]Hi all, dreahost admin,

the server crashed ? unable to get to my site right now…

[/quote]

If you haven’t already, you should contact support directly from the web panel, or at support-at-dreamhost.com.

Note that this forum is primarily for DreamHost customer discussion, not for contacting support. While occasionally someone (usually me) will wander by, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get a response (or a quick one, if you do).

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

If you are (or were, or will the same name be kept) on Apok, then yes, it crashed, and I was told that it “wouldn’t come back up”. Oh poor little thing, she must be too old, eh? I had some 3 hours of downtime, which is not good (some clients called). I suspect it’s now been replaced with a new piece since my sites are up and running. Talking about hardware, I remember reading somewhere about the specifications of DreamHost’s servers, can anyone here point me to that? Or have they been upgraded? :wink:

DreamServers.net - What do you think?

[quote]If you are (or were, or will the same name be kept) on Apok, then yes, it
crashed, and I was told that it “wouldn’t come back up”. Oh poor little thing,
she must be too old, eh?

[/quote]

Possibly. It looks like apok has been replaced with what used to be slappy (for some reason the motd hasn’t changed yet - I sent a note to Dev/Admin about that).

[quote]running. Talking about hardware, I remember reading somewhere about the > specifications of DreamHost’s servers, can anyone here point me to that? Or > have they been upgraded? :wink:

[/quote]

This changes regularly. Lately, for instance, we’ve been focusing on increasing RAM on existing servers (to a large degree, memory seems to have more of an effect on server stability/well-being than CPU speed).

Last I heard, new shared hosting machines are dual-Xeons running at 2.3 Ghz per processor. Memory is usually at 1.5-2 GB of RAM and 2-4 GB of swap. This could be out of date, though, as our admins are always bumping up specs.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks for the info, Jeff. But did you mean Apok was not replaced by a new (I mean brand new) machine? And may I ask what is (or was now) the spec for Apok? Thanks.

I also have some concern regarding the uptime report, but think I should post it to the thread I have already started.

DreamServers.net - What do you think?