Problem using Filezilla with my site

Hi guys, I am very new to web hosting and am teaching myself as I go. I’ve been using a tutorial found in a magazine, I’m trying to upload Wordpress.

In the SQL settings in the file I modified the database name, database username, database password, and database host according to the information located in the SQL settings under the Goodies tab on Dreamhost. The only two fields left untouch in the SQL settings are these:

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’);

/** The Database Collate type. Don’t change this if in doubt. */
define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ‘’);

since I didn’t see anything relating to these under the Dreamhost SQL section I left them untouched.

I’ve successfully connected to my website via the program FileZilla and have successfully transferred the Wordpress file from my local site (computer) to my remote site (the cloud).

However whenever I go to check my domain name, the Wordpress login screen is not there. Instead I’m left with the same “coming soon” screen that pops up whenever you first host a domain name under Dreamhost.

This would indicate that you have uploaded the files in the wrong place, or that your index.php file is missing. Because you are so new to webhosting I would recommend removing the files that you have uploaded, and use an “advanced” one click install of wordpresss here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=goodies.installer&

You can have a fully customizable installation of wordpress in just a few clicks. No uploading required!

If it’s the standard “Hosted with DreamHost…coming soon” screen, your domain is still in parked mode. Or you need to clear your cache. If it’s parked, then Edit your domain so it’s Fully Hosted. If it’s a cache issue, then:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Clear_cache

sdayman, there’s a newer “coming soon” page that now shows up for newly created fully hosted domains (instead of a directory index). That’s probably what he’s looking at…

Exactly, my guess is there are 2 potential causes:

1. Not all of the files were uploaded, specifically index.php

2. The files were uploaded to the wrong directory (i.e. /home $USER insted of /home/$USER/domain.com)