Problem logging in as Admin in Mediawiki

apps

Hi,

I just installed MediaWiki and it seems to be working fine except that it wont except my admin password. I can see the admin user name listed under users so I know it exists just when I put in my password it says “Incorrect password”

I thought maybe by some strange chance I put it in wrong when I installed it so I completely uninstalled MediaWiki, reinstalled it and am having the same issue.

Is there any way to reset the password for this account? Or is this a regular problem for MediaWiki?

Thanks in advance.

Parker

Are you sure you’re using the right admin account/password?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I believe so… It should be the one I inserted when I ran the install correct? I thought maybe I had it wrong, that’s why I reinstalled it taking care to record it when I did.

Fill AdminSettings.php with your database information, then open up the shell and cd to the maintenance directory of your MediaWiki installation. Then: /usr/local/php5/bin/php changePassword.php --user=WikiSysop --password=foo
You can change your password again in Special:Preferences once you’ve logged in.

You could also just use the “E-mail password” function on Special:Userlogin, but you might have to set your account’s email address in the database if the installation doesn’t do that for you.

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

Yeah, I don’t think the installation does that for you…

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

<<
Fill AdminSettings.php with your database information, then open up the shell and cd to the maintenance directory of your MediaWiki installation. Then: /usr/local/php5/bin/php changePassword.php --user=WikiSysop --password=foo>>

I have this same problem but I’m totally clueless (ie: blonde) about all this Wiki stuff…

Can you please give easier instructions? Can this be done through FTP? I see the AdminSettings.sample file which I’m guessing I can use as a basis to create the .php version but then after that…

I know I sound totally stupid here - but what’s the shell?

Open AdminSettings.sample and follow its instructions.

Unfortunately, the solutions I can give you all require you to either connect to your server through the shell or phpMyAdmin. If you don’t know how to do either of those things, then you’d better learn. There are lots of guides on such things if you search either the DreamHost wiki or Google, but I can’t help you much more without having access to your account. (And I wouldn’t recommend having me or someone else do it for you except as a last resort.)

emufarmers.com

Thanks for the reply. I know I can get into the the MySQL through my DH panel. That is phpMyAdmin…but once I’m in there I’m totally clueless. I was going to get the Wiki for Dummies book (yes, I admit it) but it isn’t available yet!

Open the query window with the middle button (the one next to the exit sign). Input the SQL query.

emufarmers.com

Thanks again. I think I need to start from scratch on this one. It appears there is a missing table so something just isn’t right. It’s weird…my other wikis don’t have this problem and they were all set up at the same time, same info, etc. Weird.

Anyway, thanks for your help!