Problem installing custom theme

wordpress

Hello. This is my first time posting to the DreamHost forum. So far the DH tech support folks have been very helpful with all my questions about how to move my site to DH, but I’m thinking the problem I am having now might be better dealt with over here…

So, I have transferred my WP content and database to my domain at DH using SFTP. When I installed the custom theme, the Wordpress interface told me that it had been successful, but I got the below errors when I tried to activate or preview the theme. In the error shown below I have replaced my domain’s name with ‘mydomain’.

Using FileZilla I verified that the files indicated are actually on the DH server in the expected places, so I am not sure what to do next.

I will appreciate any help you can give me!

+++

Warning: include_once(juniper_subs_v17.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/fetech/mydomain.org/wp-content/themes/mydomain/functions.php on line 18

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening ‘juniper_subs_v17.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear’) in /home/fetech/mydomain.org/wp-content/themes/mydomain/functions.php on line 18

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/fetech/mydomain.org/wp-content/themes/mydomain/widget-page-menu-mydomain.php on line 72

I went and looked at your domain and juniper_subs_v17.php isn;t there.

You have juniper_subs_v21.php though, but that’s going to be a problem :slight_smile:

Also, the third error correponds to some code in your theme that just looks plain wrong, and wouldn’t have ever worked anywhere. Looks something like:

[php]
$array = array(
‘blah’ => $a, $b, $c);
=> 0,
);
[/php]

Thanks for the info, Ipstenu-DH and Andrew F. I’ll get in touch with the person who wrote the theme and see if he can fix the problems. I thought it would be easier to import the theme and content than to start over from scratch. Now I’m not sure.

+++

Hi again,

It looks like the person who wrote the theme I am having trouble with has dropped out of contact, so I need to work on an alternate plan. Related to this I have two questions:

1. Would it be possible for me to use the /contents/assets/ and the MySQL database I edited using info from the non-working theme? Perhaps with a WP stock theme?

2. My WP install is on my working domain. Is there a way to work on WP and make it functional without having it ‘go live’ when it’s not really functional?

Much obliged for any help,

Robby

Depends what’s in contents/assets… Are those the images etc from the theme? You can always reuse what you’ve got as files, though, you just have to point your theme to them. DB totally works when you switch themes, or I would be totally miserable! :smiley:

Not really easily. Most of the time, we end up making a duplicate copy of the site, editing that, and then moving the theme over. The downside to that is it doesn’t bring any theme or plugin settings :confused: