Private Server disadvantages?

wordpress

I just had my sites moved to Dreamhost PS.

My experience so far:

I was in the waiting list for quite some time. Then I decided to send them an inquiry about how long it might take and they decided to transfer me immediately. I read here someone complain about my server (planters), I don´t know if that might have also been the cause.

Something went wrong in the transfer and since I wasn´t online I only noticed on the other day, it took them some 4 hrs to finally fix it.

On the morning of the second day my sites were down again, this time I fixed it by adjusting CPU/Memory from 150/150 to 300/300.

Everything seems MUCH faster now, specially wordpress and gallery. But this brief experience made me wonder, now my sites may go down for excessive use of resources, whereas in shared hosting they might slowdown but always worked.

I remember reading somewhere the by paying more, I would get all the benefits from shared PLUS those guaranteed resources. It doesn´t seem to be that way.

Am I right?

Use promo code US97OFF to get maximum discounts!
Use o código de promoção US97OFF para descontos de até US97!

I think that one of the downsides to PS is that you now have a hard memory limit. If that’s something that is a problem for you, then you have to take that into account when you’re thinking about signing up for PS service.

One thing I don’t know is whether your processes get killed for excess memory use in regular shared hosting . I remember reading that they do but I don’t know what that memory limit is.

As you’ve said, though, there are many performance benefits to being on PS service. Plus it gives you the ability to have persistent processes!

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

My server just went down for some 4+ hours today.

After sometime I received this email

[quote]Unfortunately, there have been issues with our private servers, but we
are working to stabalize them.
[/quote]

Private servers (independent of the hosting service) is always better than shared. The benefits include the ability to gain top search engine rankings (all other things equal) and the overall customization abilities. The downside is the inherent lack of redundancy that can occur if a host is ‘overselling’ resulting in possibly more downtime and the technical knowledge required.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd aka promoCodeSLAYER

Sorry for the ignorance, but why is that? Fixed ip?

Please elaborate.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes