Private Nameservers

Any idea why dreamhost doesn’t allow private nameservers? I emailed support and they said this is possible only if you register your domain with them. Do any of you have your own private nameservers.

ex. ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com
as opposed to
ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com

Uh, maybe I didn’t get enough sleep, but I can’t quite reconcile these two statements.

Are you saying that support said that if you register a domain at dreamhost, that you can use a custom nameserver?

I’m not quite sure what situation you’re describing where you wouldn’t be able to run a custom nameserver. That is, if you don’t register your domain at DreamHost and you don’t want to use their nameserver, then how are they involved?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

I don’t want to register my domain with dreamhost…that’s correct. Nor do I want to transfer it over to dreamhost.

Is your domain hosted here?

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

BTW you should read this post and see if this method works for you.