Prevent mp4 files from autostreaming

design

If I link to a .mp4 file, it doesn’t give a download link, but rather starts streaming. I have Quicktime installed unfortunately (Quicktime alternatives don’t always work), which is why the file starts streaming rather than presenting me with a download box. I am sure a lot of people have Quicktime installed and also don’t want .mp4 files they’re trying to download from me to start streaming instead.

How do I stop this behavior without using some sort of download script and without removing Quicktime? I prefer the look of the default directory listing.

Also I know raring up the .mp4 files would stop this, but I’d have to reupload at least a GB of movies, since I don’t think raring can be done with php. I know you can tar and untar files with PHP, but a lot of people would be confused by a .tar extension…

Right-Click > Save Linked Content As… (or w/e terminology your browser uses).

You can archive files using rar, zip, etc. from shell, with a script that passes commands to shell, or with an SFTP client that supports the ability to issue shell commands. WinSCP is such a client.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Fatal error: Call to undefined function rar_open() in /home/x/x/testing/rar.php on line 3

Obviously RAR for PHP is not installed. I also do not have shell access, unless the basic webhosting package includes it?

Also, Save As is obviously an option, but I’d like for the file to always download when a user clicks the link. Save As is an extra step that should not be necessary here.

[quote]Fatal error: Call to undefined function rar_open() in /home/x/x/testing/rar.php on line 3
Obviously RAR for PHP is not installed.[/quote]
I didn’t imply that it was :wink:

[color=#00CC00]Panel > Users > Manage Users[/color]

Your PC settings are stepping in and deciding to stream the content. This behaviour is user-configurable.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost