Potential Buy

I am currently looking for a new webhost to start my own website (probably for the video gaming community, but also for hosting of my own personal things)

I’m just curious as to how good dreamhost is. I’ve read some online reviews that say there is bad downtime, but has that been dealt with and/or was it actually that bad to begin with?

Also, I’ve seen the promotional codes and I’m just curious if those actually work. $97 off of a $190 plan? (the lowest one for 2 years) That seems kind of generous.

Another thing - are there any preinstalled scripts with DreamHost? Other companies such as HostRocket have a ton of preinstalled ones ( http://www.hostrocket.com/scripts.html ) and I’m curious as to if DreamHost has something similar.

I’m a novice to running a site (I’ve had one for a year under GoDaddy, but I haven’t had much use of it), so things being simple would be a plus.

DreamHost definitely seems like a good buy, but I just want some advice to how good of a buy and if there is anything better.

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

All hosts have their problems, but DH is pretty hard to beat for the price.

The promo codes are real. You can get your first year of the L1 plan for a little over $20.

One Click Installs.

That’s the wiki article about the one click install feature. There’s a lot of other info in the wiki, so have a look around.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

There are two additional things that you might find compelling:

1. I find the panel to be easier to use than the cPanel that you see a lot of other hosts use. I have to admit that despite having a computer science degree and working for 20 years in technology, I find the directory setup at some other hosts kind of confusing.
  2. DreamHost has a 97 day money back guarantee. Try it out and if you don’t like it, get all your money back (less any domain registration fees. Those aren’t refundable because they can’t be undone, but your domain will still be registered to you for a year.

The $97 first year discount is a pretty compelling differentiator for DreamHost. Almost all hosts have referral programs. Not that many (if any) have this discount program. It’s actually a pretty interesting stance given that it seems to keep DreamHost from being shilled by professional referral sites and fake review sites. It’s just this kind of irreverence for the establishment that makes me actually like them.

BTW, it seems to me that every web host has lots of complaints about their reliability.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

wow thank you guys for your fast replies

once i decide on a good domain name I will definitely be purchasing from here, the low cost for two years plus the free domain and all the nice features, this seems like a good place to be.

not to mention you guys are great community builders and are very generous :smiley:

now i just need to find a creative domain name that works regarding video games and isn’t taken already…