Posting subdomain to different host

I am interested in using Phototage.com for photoblog hosting, but I could like to incorporate the photoblog into my site as much as possible.

One of the ways I want to do this is by pointing a subdomain’s “A” record to the phototage.com server so that I can pull content from the photoblog onto a subdomain.

Here’s the explanation from the site: http://help.my-expressions.com/account-vhost.shtml

Is this possible with Dreamhost?

I am not familiar with photoage.com, but you can create A-Records easily via the panel.

To achieve the result in the example, you would do something like the following, assuming example-domain.com has already been added to the DreamHost hosting system.

Firstly, [color=#CC0000]Do NOT add blog.example-domain.com to the DreamHost system.[/color]

Go to Domains -> Manage Domains in the panel and click the small DNS link next to example-domain.com

Now, in the section Add a DNS record to example-domain.com. fill in the following fields.

Name: blog
Type: A
Value: 83.170.75.220

Click the Add Record Now! button and you are done.

Note, it will take a little time for the new A-Record to become active. This can vary from a few minutes to a few hours, be patient.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks Mark. I’m rereading it though and think that I’m not going to be able to do what I want, which is fine. I’ll just use something like MoveableType for a photolog.

I want all of my dreamhost hosted content to be on example.com and the photolog to be on photolog.example.com, not to point the entire domain elsewhere.

Well, it looks like it’s time to read up on systems that I can host through Dreamhost, like MoveableType and Greymatter (am I showing my age with those two?)

Thanks for your help Mark!

I think you’ve made the right choice. Hosting it yourself will give you a lot more control over how things are done and the general ‘look and feel’ of the site.

Be sure to have a good look around, I am sure there are loads of applications around that will do what you want, it is just a matter of finding one that suits you personally. Anything that uses PHP/MySQL should be reasonably easy to install here at DreamHost and there is always this forum to fall back on if you run into problems. :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] ( Click for promo code details )