PostgreSQL

I’ve done some reading and I know this has been asked before, but I’d like to suggest adding PostgreSQL as an option for Dreamhost users.

Could you either give people the option of one or the other, or charge extra for it? I’d be willing to pay a couple of dollars extra per month, and I’m sure there are other who think the same.

Thanks

[quote]I’ve done some reading and I know this has been asked before, but I’d like to suggest adding PostgreSQL as an option for Dreamhost users.

Could you either give people the option of one or the other, or charge extra for it? I’d be willing to pay a couple of dollars extra per month, and I’m sure there are other who think the same.[/quote]
As I perceive, this forum is customer to customer forum although DH guys drop by sometimes.

And I’m sure that suggestions have been posted several times :slight_smile:

Supernova

PROMO CODE [color=#CC0000]SUPERNOVA[/color]=$97 OFF ON YEARLY PLAN SIGN UP NOW

I don’t think DH will install that for a particular user. But you can suggest the feature from DH panel. If a lot of people agree with the suggestion, DH will then consider to have it in all the hosting plans.

However, you should contact DH support to find out the best answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks, I’ve emailed support. If anyone else is reading this and feels the same way, please feel free to send your opinions to DH as well :slight_smile:

There are two suggestions so far:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&category=Software Installations&search=postgre
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=home.sugg&category=New Features&search=postgre

:slight_smile:

Exactly, now you just have to convince more people to vote for this.

Me, for instance. Do you need this for your own programming? In which case, why should I use PostgreSQL over MySQL? Or do you need it for a package? In which case what packages require it?

But maybe a suggestion isn’t the best way of convincing DreamHost to offer PostgreSQL. After all, I don’t think DreamHost has ever offered it, so by self-selection, webmasters who need it or even just want it would be inclined to choose a different web host.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

I probably wouldn’t count on getting it.

It’s come up a lot over the years and different DH employees have chimed in with reasons for not having it… though I forget what they were, possibly something resource related. I thought one of them even said that they use it in house for certain things.

I don’t really care either way, but enough other hosts offer it that I’m kinda surprised they haven’t made it happen.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

[quote]Exactly, now you just have to convince more people to vote for this.

Me, for instance. Do you need this for your own programming? In which case, why should I use PostgreSQL over MySQL? Or do you need it for a package? In which case what packages require it?
[/quote]
Oh, erh, nah… I’ll resist rehashing here the P vs. M conversation that can be found strewn across various “forums” via search engines. I’ll just chime in with my own narrow experience: for those of us that have ported database applications of middling complexity from multiple versions of P or M over to Oracle, the PostgreSQL to Oracle path is much smoother.

Now for those wondering why you would port… especially in these days of increased acceptance of FOSS solutions in board rooms? Well, all I can tell you from my experience is that aforementioned “acceptance”(a word with many meanings in this context) is not universal. “Fine for now, but once the $$ start rolling in, time for Oracle!”

To the OP: as others have said, this suggestion has been around for a bit – the few suggestion credits I’ve “spent” are already behind it but don’t hold your breath. The work and support that would have to go into offering it probably isn’t worth it to DH. I say the last in total ignorance of the details of their biz/strategy.

jt