PostgreSQL

software development

I’d be interested to know if there is any planned support for PostgreSQL. There are several tools that I initially thought I would be able to implement using my dreamhost account that I am unable to because of fundamental limitations in the design of MySQL, namely; stored procedures and subselects.

Is there any planned support for PostgreSQL? Any way to use this database backend on just my account?

See this thread: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_offtopic&Number=11085&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=postgresql&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=11085

In a nutshell, no. But feel free to enter it as a suggestion in the panel and convince lots of people to vote for it.

Technically, it would probably be possible to install and run it as your user (I think I caught a user doing that once), but we wouldn’t allow that. On a dedicated machine, we’d happily install the package for you (I’m pretty sure we have for at least one customer), but wouldn’t manage it or provide support for it.

And I’m sure folks here might be able to give you some ideas if you post specifics of what you’re trying to do but can’t… we run a pretty large system (DreamHost’s backend, Dreambook) on MySQL, and haven’t bumped into limitations too many times (we’ve been able to work around them when we have).