Possible? smtp from home direct to dreamhost

I want to send one particular email from my laptop to my dreamhost email address, using my laptop’s smtp client, bypassing my ISP’s smtp server and connecting direct to DreamHost’s smtp server. (It’s for a phone-home script in the event of the laptop being “mislaid”, so I can’t use my ISP’s server since the thief likely will be using a different ISP.)

Dreamhost’s smtp server is refusing the connection. I’m presuming it’s some sort of anti-relay measure. Putting the debugging hat on: I think I’ve got the address masquerading set up ok, but I am behind a NAT and have a dynamic IP address. The IP address would be within my ISP’s allocated block, but doesn’t resolve to their mail server obviously.

Anyone know if it’s possible? Or are DreamHost super strict about accepting mail from NAT’d dynamic IP addresses?

On my laptop, I’m using Postfix and Slackware 12.2.

Many thanks,
Nick

Sounds like you may be experiencing port 25 blocking. Try setting the mail client to use port 587. Your ISP is probably not letting your machine connect to another machine on port 25 in order to limit their customers ability to send spam. In otherwords this probably has nothing to do with DreamHost at all.

See http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Port_25_Blocking

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

Thanks for the reply. No, port 25 isn’t blocked for me, my ISP allows some clients to opt out of port blocking, which I have. My stmp client (Postfix) is able to contact my DreamHost domain’s mailserver, which is the blingy machine at dreamhost, but blingy is refusing the connection (refusing it in the mail handshake sense).

Are you using secure authentication? You’re not going to be able to relay. You’ll need to authenticate in order to send mail from DreamHost mail servers. And you should probably use port 587 anyways in the event your machine connects via ISP /w port 25 blocking.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

Thanks for hint, it was indeed authentication. You need to use one of the AUTH methods that DreamHost understands.