Possible new user

A friend of mine showed me Dream Host and I like what I see. I have 4 Web sites (very small) created in Kompozer and hosted by Web.com and GoDaddy (2 each). What I would like to do is move all 4 sites to DreamHost, and possibly the domains as well. My questions are:

1. Can I use the 2-week trial to create a new site in Joomla while leaving my current site up with Web.com until it is finished? I have heard I can and I have heard I cannot. I would like to do this and then close out my accounts Web.com.

2. Is creating custom sites in Joomla easy with templates and the one-click install? I am not a Web designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I really like the extensions available for Joomla.

3. If I also move my domain names to DH, do they have an easy to use control panel? GoDaddy’s is very powerful, but not necessarily that intuitive to get around.

Thanks in advance for the help.

–Hank

1. Yes. These two articles in the wiki should be helpful to you.
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-Viewing_site_before_DNS_change
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS
    -_Accessing_your_Database_before_DNS_change

2. Well I think its easy but my easy and your easy might be different. I have years of experience with various content management systems and their template systems so ease of use from one to the other is about the same to me. Also I would not use the DH one-click install. There have been various threads on here about it. The DH one-click is 1.5.x and I do believe Joomla is up to 1.7.x. You should get the most current version and do it yourself vs using the one-click imo.

3. DH control panel is not like cPanel but I think its pretty easy to navigate around once you get use to it. I like it better than cPanel anyway.

Thanks for the help. The two articles did answer my questions on setting up my site before I switch the DNS records. I do have a followup question if you don’t mind; if I want to use Joomla 1.7 as opposed to 1.5 with one-click setup, how do I go about doing that? Is 1.7 already supported on DH? I am a network admin, but have no experience with Web hosting.

Thanks again for your help.

–Hank

To use Joomla 1.7 you would download and install the package manually. It’s pretty straight forward. Honestly the first time you install a web package manually there may be a slight leaning curve, but once you get good at it, you can do it almost as fast as the one-click. The basic steps for most manual installs are download, unzip, create a database via the dreamhost panel, then simply visit a config url just like you would for the one-click install.

Great, thank you very much. I didn’t realize I could install Joomla on their servers. The only experience I have is ftping the html files to my folder location at Go Daddy and Web.com. I really like the ability to use the different services on DH.

–Hank