Portal for others to contribute?

I have a few friends/fam that would like to pass picture or movie files to me online; you know. . . their New Years 2006 album with 60MB of high-res photos and a movie of me dancing on the counter. What is the best way for a novice guy like me to set up an area on my sub-domain that they can log in to upload their .zips? I was imagining the WebFTP application with an address that sends them to where they need to be and has restricted access to the rest of my dir. Keep in mind, my parents are half as savvy as I?!

TIA!

WebFTP won’t do it, since it uploads through PHP, and is thus capped at a few megabytes per file. (Far too much work for you to change that.)

I know I’ll sound like rlparker here, but something like ffileman might be what you’re looking for. Or you can just create separate users for your parents and remap their subdirectories to be subdirectories of your subdomain. They could then upload files with regular FTP clients. (You’d probably have to help them with understanding how to do that, of course.)

emufarmers.com
Very little to do with either emus or farmers!

What about a private gallery site?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

The best solution is probably to pay for a unique IP address and setup Anonymous FTP.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Hey wait! What about just a regular ftp account? He could get around the “shared files” problem by just logging in himself using the id/password that he gives his parents…

(Apologies for referring to you in the third person, AMD)

Oh, and AMD, any pure web-based solution would run into the PHP file upload limit. Getting around that is doable, but probably requires more work than it’s worth for your application (but you tell us).

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Just to add to this - if you plan to upload files greater than (roughly) 70-80megs in size, you’ll have to forget about any PHP-based script. DH accounts are restricted to about 100megs of memory, hence this limitation.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Actually, only PHP “web-based solutions” would run into the limit, and there are lots of perl web-based file managers and uploaders out there in the wild (including
ffileman
). They don’t have this limitation. :wink:

–rlparker

Does a unique IP help out here?

I think the poster just needs a FTP software. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/FTP

As long as it is not PHP based, there is no upload limit.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]

I just assumed that the OP would not want to give out FTP username/password combos to people.

si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]