Popcorn is dead

aaaaargh :frowning:

it’s back :dance:

Sounds like popcorn just “fainted” :wink:

–rlparker

Whew.

I thought this was yet another segment in the ongoing saga of the buttered popcorn crisis.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

popcorn’s dead again.

Well, it pings and traceroutes just fine. Do you have a url we can check to make sure it is actually popcorn as opposed to some other connectivity issue?

–rlparker

it was rebooted in the middle of the day for maintenance. total downtime, 1 hour, 2 minutes. also, hosts that are rebooting will often continue to ping/tr well after other services are downed.

mail from spt:

Oh, sorry about that! We were doing some work on your server Popcorn to
clear up some networking issues and it was eventually rebooted about 15
minutes ago. I’ve just checked it and it looks like everything’s back to
normal now. But don’t hesitate to let me know if it becomes unresponsive
again. Or if there’s anything else I can help you with, just let me
know! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thanks for that update! Well, at least they have it back up; here’s hoping it stays that way. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

dead this morning from 7-10am. :frowning:

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=54918&&UserId=69621

september’s not looking good. :smiley:

As per your post in the other thread, your server would seem to be having a significant amount of trouble.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

popcorn currently running at 100% CPU, sites unresponsive:

top - 14:37:22 up 2 days, 7:50, 8 users, load average: 19.07, 19.09, 22.02
Tasks: 6 total, 1 running, 5 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 61.4% user, 38.2% system, 0.0% nice, 0.3% idle

site is http://www.thegatorboard.com/

AARGH. my webserver is dead on popcorn. http://thegatorboard.com/ - my other sites are up.

current CPU load is avging 80% and spiking to 100.

11:57:45 up 5 days, 5:12, 7 users, load average: 11.55, 19.96, 26.58

popcorn unresponsive to web and ssh.

I recall some poor support person saying that this is the foo situation because someone’s site is hammering the server so badly that it’s difficult if not impossible for them to get in themselves to find and isolate the bad site.

DreamHost support always gets their man, though. Then we’ll see a post here complaining about how someone’s site was taken down without any warning.

I do wonder if there are additional tools or configuration for shared web hosts to deal with this situation. It would really be a great value-added differentiator for DreamHost.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

that’s bullshit. simple log analysis will tell who the top users are.

i run a football fan site. there were maybe 10 people active last night when it went down - and the responsiveness at the time was fine. spt said they had to reboot it due to unresponsiveness.

at least it reboots in under ten minutes. :smiley:

Sorry, I wasn’t aware that apache logged cpu time taken by various scripts by default in it’s log information.

Oh really? What exactly do you expect one can see in the logs that indicates which user is a “top” user (or you just talking about the number of hits?).

Lensman is correct when he points out that “simple” log analysis won’t make it obvious where the load is coming from. :wink:

–rlparker

uh, webalyzer?

popcorn’s load avg is currently:

top - 10:42:47 up 2 days, 15:39, 6 users, load average: 121.91, 103.14, 82.51
Tasks: 11 total, 9 running, 2 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 82.0% user, 18.0% system, 0.0% nice, 0.0% idle
Mem: 4075060k total, 3695640k used, 379420k free, 24932k buffers
Swap: 6313512k total, 154064k used, 6159448k free, 847560k cached

expect a reboot shortly.

webalyzer is a statistical analysis program that will show you a lot of information, though it is primarily about hits/traffic and has no CPU/MEM loading information. It derives all of it’s output from Apache logfiles, which contain none of this information.

It sounds like you are confusing “load” with traffic. :wink:

Those load numbers for popcorn do suck, though NFS is as likely to be part of the problem as a heavy user. Whenever you see those number, if they last for any significant period of time, you should contact support.

–rlparker