POP3 receive has become intermittent

Starting a few weeks ago my POP3 mail reception from my Dreamhost Squirrel mail started to become intermittent. It had been working flawlessly for years. I changed nothing. Then the same thing stated happening to my wife’s account. Webmail is working fine so Dreamhost says the problem is on our side. The message from outlook is:

Task ‘xxx@yyy.com - Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC0F) : ‘The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

I searched the forum a bit but did not see relevant threads. Very mysterious - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Freya
[hr]
Well, it seems that some time in the past few weeks the Dreamhost POP3 account started requiring an SSL connection. I enabled that on all accounts and everything started working fine.

Well, I thought I had this worked out by switching to SSL. That worked for a few hours then I had to go back to a non-SSL connection. Squirrel mail is very squirrel-ly lately.

Freya

I am having the same issue, our pop3 is extremely intermittent. Have also tried SSL (Port 995) still Intermittent.

Strangely tried to telnet to other pop providers and these connect correctly, what gives? I try to connect to my Fasthosts pop/Squirrel Mail pop and it times out.

update:

I put a support call into Dreamhosts about this and was told that they are having issues with their mail clusters.

So I think its a matter of wait for the problems to be fixed :slight_smile:

There are actually several threads about the SMTP problems DH has been having, especially on the homiemail-sub5 cluster. This sounds EXACTLY like the intermittent sending issues we’ve been experiencing for about the same amount of time. I’m sure they’re related. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be closing in on the issue.

Just to chime in, I have also been having intermittent hiccups with my POP3 server. This is the message I get:

Unable to send or receive messages for the `xxx@xxxx- dreamhost account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'sub5.mail.dreamhost.com
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I opened a trouble ticket about this with DreamHost a couple of weeks ago. After a few days I got a generic canned response, basically that they’re working on it.

I am holding my breath. :slight_smile: