POP Downloading Messages in TRASH

I use IMAP on my iPhone, iPad, and Outlook on my laptop for checking my various email accounts. However, my desktop is using Outlook still set to POP for occasional downloading and archiving emails. When I delete an email on my iPhone or iPad (haven’t tested this as thoroughly on my laptop), I can verify in Squirrel that the email has been moved to the Trash. However, if I check my email using POP on my desktop it downloads ALL new emails, even items in the trash!

I did not use to have this problem, so either something changed to Dreamhost’s servers or this changed when I updated to iOS 5. Has anyone had a similar problem and figured out a solution? It is kind of annoying when I delete 50-100 emails on my phone but they still get downloaded via POP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The best thing to do here is to reconfigure Outlook to use IMAP.

POP3 is designed to pull the messages off the server. There is also typically an option with POP to leave messages on server, which is there as a possible workaround.

IMAP on the other hand is designed to keep the messages on the server.

In general POP and IMAP don’t mix real well and if IMAP is in use on any client/device it’s best to use IMAP on all.

I understand the difference between POP and IMAP. This combo has been working fine for years and I want to keep POP so the messages are pulled off the server once a week, or once a month, or whenever I do it. Everything has been working just fine, but now POP is downloading items in the Trash… my understanding is that POP should only download the inbox.