Poor Performance / Downtime

Hello there,

I thought I might get some fellow DreamHost customers input on this. I just moved over a couple of (low-traffic, but important) web sites from 1&1 to DreamHost. I’ve been a customer for one week and have had to submit a trouble ticket almost every day.

I’m delighted with the technical support and customer service, but the actual hosting service has been terrible so far.

In the past 4 days, my sites have been unreachable 3 times (for hours at a time). I’m on the Kyrie server. The first excuse was that some user was running processes they should be. Fair enough. The second excuse was that there was a load issue and that the server would have to be reloaded. Today, my sites are down again - and they were slow as hell all morning. I demanded that DreamHost credit my account for 2 days of no service - hoping for a few cents - they gave me a full month’s credit. Nice of them.

Anyway, with 1&1 customer/technical support was useless much like their web panel, but at least my sites were fast and always available. Both my 1&1 and DreamHost accounts were for a shared server ~ $10 per month.

Is this just a bad week for DreamHost? Should I go back to 1&1? Again, I love DreamHost - excellent support, and human-readable-often-funny blogs, newsletters, email responses, etc. but the service thus far has been deplorable.

Cheers in advance for any replies,
LeePR

Keep nagging every time it goes down. In some cases, they move impacted users to another server.

-Scott

Are you the same Scott that answered my trouble ticket last night? That Scott told me, “if you’d like to be moved to another server, just let us know. We’d be happy to help you out as much as we can.”

I’m looking through the forum now and it seems (from other posts) that it’s fairly typical to see a speed increase when you’re moved to another server, but it’ll just come back to haunt you in a few months - same thing over and over again.

Is there anyone on here that’s never had a problem a DreamHost server being slow/down? If so, please let me know and I’ll see if I can request to be put on that one instead :slight_smile:

Nope. Employees usually have a little yellow bubble above their username in the forum list.

-Scott

That is because DH has more and more customers.

Although we don’t encourage people moving between servers, you can request it if your server is really slow. DH will be there to manage your servers.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I’ll reassert my claim that the problems are the same as they’ve always been - there has always been some number of unfortunate customers who end up on servers that have problems.

The old-timers can verify that someone comes here to the forums to complain about slowness every couple of weeks. The answer is always the same, either:

1. Submit an accurate and precise support ticket
  2. Analyze your site and figure out why it’s slow
  3. Your site is itself the problem. It is inappropriate for a shared web hosting account. You should upgrade to a dedicated server or (recently) a Dreamhost PS account.
  4. Ask to be moved to a different server.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

you’re not alone…
me too have the same problem almost everyday.
i have been with DH for 2 weeks. and my site down everyday.
They finally give me 1 month free…
I dont want their 1 month free… I want my site is always up and running… I dont want they give me free 1 month, and I keep getting site down/slow for another 12 months.

i’m tired… of reporting site down site down…
and waiting the customer support to response.

this is my account #395053

please DH… fix the problem… or move me to better / not overloaded server.

thank you

[quote]this is my account #(censored)

please DH… fix the problem… or move me to better / not overloaded server.[/quote]
Please remember that these are customer-to-customer forums and not regularly read by Dreamhost staff.

You might also want to clip out your account number…

Good luck with your problems. My wife says her server has been having some problems for the past month as well.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Yep. Our server has been “under a high load” recently, according to DreamHost’s own tests. They had to reboot our server at least twice within a few weeks. I know the OP doesn’t want to hear this, but you get what you pay for. Unless you’re on a dedicated server, then you can’t really expect much more from DreamHost. I think they’re good, overall, though.

http://WebsiteHacks.com
website development and computer help

I think Dreamhost has been working on the problem my wife has been experiencing for about a month. It’s caused problems off and on for that period of time, but performance has been good other than those times when the filer becomes overwhelmed.

OTOH, my sites have been fine and I never really had this particular problem anytime in the past - well, the occasional one that got worked out in a few hours, but nothing like this.
I’m sure DH is working hard on the problem and will get it solved, though. I don’t think people should expect such slowness as the rule here, but rather as the exception.

I think this goes back to the same problem. How to manage users in shared servers with such a low price. If a website has more than 800 visitors a day, it will definitely affect its neighbors in the same server. The site owner will encounter a serious slowness and it will be the time to switch to dedicated server.

DH has 500,000 domains to manager. It is not a easy job but I believe they are working hard on it.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Patrick, I don’t think that is an accurate statement.

800 visitors in a day could create a problem, depending upon what those visitors are doing at the site and how the site is coded, but not necessarily.

800 visitors a day each viewing a few static webpages wouldn’t even be noticed on most servers, while 800 visitors pounding a dynamic database-driven application heavily with repeated searches and generating tens of thousands of inefficient database queries could create a problem. :wink:

–rlparker

hmm… Recently I read a book [strategies for web hosting and managed services]. It discussed the differences between shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

The book gives an average 800 visitors per day as a reference. It suggests people to consider to switch to dedicated server if the site has more than 800 visitors a day.

I believe this is just an average measurement. As you mentioned, if those visitors just view few static webpages, it should be still fine. If more activities that require more server resources are often queried, the site may suffer slowness.

I am thinking of asking to move from megaman to another server myself. I have had a lot of speed issues, like right now…It’s taking nearly 3 minutes for the server to respond to user requests. The server just has too many users on it.

3 mins for a server to respond is really slow. A support ticket should get DH’s attention.

What are you running on the server? Is it an off-the-shelf web application or did you write it yourself?

Is the 3 minutes to just display a static web page? How long does your server take to respond to a vanilla wordpress install?

I’d assert that 3 minutes is a suspiciously long time to be waiting for a page and it’s not simply a server that’s overloaded with users, but rather a server that either has one user’s site pounding it to oblivion or that has a problem with it’s NFS server. What does support say?

[quote]hmm… Recently I read a book [strategies for web hosting and managed services]. It discussed the differences between shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

The book gives an average 800 visitors per day as a reference. It suggests people to consider to switch to dedicated server if the site has more than 800 visitors a day.[/quote]
I’d be leery of these “rules of thumb”. Where does the author get this rule? Is it based on a monetization metric or is it based on a use metric?

For instance, one web application we have at work can take 1-2 simultaneous users per dedicated server. Users would stay on the system for between 1 and 4 hours. Admittedly it’s a pretty hefty application. :slight_smile:

I have no idea. Maybe I am too rushing to share it.

Patrick, can you reference me what book you are reading ? I think my sites (with more than 4 domains) receive more than 800 visitors per day combined.

Supernova

Need promo codes ? Check on this link.

I’d throw that 800/day tidbit out the window. It means nothing if everybody else on the shared server has only 5 visits a day, or 5000 visits a day.

If you’re overloading the server, DreamHost will let you know. If someone else is overloading the server, complain to Support.

-Scott