Poor customer service, no email access for days

Dreamhost claims that they will get back to you within 24 hours, but they don’t. I have two email accounts which have been completely broken for days with NO access at all. Logging a call does not work as they just lump it in with the other problems, which they refuse to say what is going on. It seems that there is some sort of corruption with these two accounts, which I doubt will get fixed with their other issues, but the main thing is that they don’t respond at all.

I am wondering if getting legal people involved is required. How do you get a response back from Dreamhost (aka Nightmarehost) to actually look at a specific problem???
[hr]
Webmail error:

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: [SERVERBUG] Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2016-07-28 13:10:36]

POP error:

The server said: “[IN-USE] Couldn’t open INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2016-07-28 13:10:59]”

This relates to: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2016/07/26/emergency-maintenance-on-mail-filers-july-26-430-pm-pst/

This has been an issue really, since Monday night 7/25, however… it is now FRIDAY.

There has been an update about the problem every day, but each update was but a single sentence to account for a whole day’s effort to fix this.

Note the word, “connectivity”. That doesn’t mean your email will be WORKING.

I am one of the ones affected by this. I have had to contact my clients 2-3 times a day (or they call me) to tell them that, indirectly, I don’t know what I’m doing as a web designer. That makes me feel GREAT! (sarcasm) I have to hear them say, every time, how important their email is, etc. Every time, I have to agree with them and tell them how this is unacceptable in today’s world. I have to tell them we’re looking into other hosts, etc. etc etc.

I’ve temporarily had to set them up with Gmail accounts using the sluggish forwarding system Dreamhost has thanks to Dreamhost spammers being throttled by Google. (at least it works, but I ain’t getting paid for my time to do this)

I didn’t get into making websites so I can manage broken email servers.

Believe it or not, I actually have better things to do.

SO USING MY PSYCHIC POWERS, THIS IS WHAT I FIGURED HAS HAPPENED, AND WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN.

HOW I KNOW: First, I have but 4 active “login” email accounts. Two of them are POP accounts I don’t use that much but I have 2 IMAP (like Gmail) accounts for my clients. Like Gmail, they have a history of messages in there.

The 2 POP that I’m using infrequently using, I HAVEN’T HAD A PROBLEM. Funny how they’re on the same server.

In other words, network connectivity is fine. Hardware connection to the disc array is fine. Reading and writing small bits for the short term never stopped working.

So the problem is isolated to the email accounts that had some storage in there.

It’s clear that the storage has been corrupted. That’s why we’re getting these error messages. There’s a wad of storage in each of these accounts but when any email client tries to access it and sort it out, well… it’s corrupted.

HOW it was corrupted is, I’m gathering, is due to a failed disc on a array. Perhaps a double failure as I’ve heard of that happening, esp with a very large array of discs (over 10)

IF YOU’RE AFFECTED BY THIS SITUATION

I’m SURE that if you were to simply delete the accounts (erasing the data) then create them again, they would work fine. You’d lose whatever data you had in there, but hey, you could resume receiving your email. (THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN)

So 100% of what our current problem is about, is the hope that they’re going to be able to reassemble the data with what certainly appears to be at least one failed disk on a RAID.

FURTHERMORE, there is NO WAY it should be taking this long.

I’m really thinking they had to order more equipment, and a solid 2 days has been diagnosing, deciding, ordering and waiting for the shipment to come in. There was likely a vacation issue as well. My biggest issue with this is the LACK OF COMMUNICATION.

SO MY PSYCHIC PREDICTION is that while accounts will be restored, MOST / all of the data will be lost.

MOST LIKELY: 1) they will restore service 2) all IMAP data will be put into a single, big-ass “special” folder which will be a big mess with messages joined together, etc. Most / All binary attachments will be lost.

NONE of this is good, but the REALLY BAD THING is the lack of communication.

The issue that I have is that the error I get is IN_USE, which is not a connectivity error, but it is marked as being in-use and the clowns at NightmareHost refuse to do anything about it at all. The spew the stock responses and when all is said and done, it will likely still be an issue.

Yes, I could delete the accounts and re-create them, but then I would have to remember ALL of the settings, which is a problem.

The real issue is a lack of customer service and a serious lack of communications.

Same issue here because they never sent us a domain verification. Consequently - I can’t even log in to my Dreamhost panel because of the IP verification. This has been going on for days and they won’t do anything over chat.