This relates to: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2016/07/26/emergency-maintenance-on-mail-filers-july-26-430-pm-pst/
This has been an issue really, since Monday night 7/25, however... it is now FRIDAY.
There has been an update about the problem every day, but each update was but a single sentence to account for a whole day's effort to fix this.
Note the word, "connectivity". That doesn't mean your email will be WORKING.
I am one of the ones affected by this. I have had to contact my clients 2-3 times a day (or they call me) to tell them that, indirectly, I don't know what I'm doing as a web designer. That makes me feel GREAT! (sarcasm) I have to hear them say, every time, how important their email is, etc. Every time, I have to agree with them and tell them how this is unacceptable in today's world. I have to tell them we're looking into other hosts, etc. etc etc.
I've temporarily had to set them up with Gmail accounts using the sluggish forwarding system Dreamhost has thanks to Dreamhost spammers being throttled by Google. (at least it works, but I ain't getting paid for my time to do this)
I didn't get into making websites so I can manage broken email servers.
Believe it or not, I actually have better things to do.
SO USING MY PSYCHIC POWERS, THIS IS WHAT I FIGURED HAS HAPPENED, AND WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.
HOW I KNOW: First, I have but 4 active "login" email accounts. Two of them are POP accounts I don't use that much but I have 2 IMAP (like Gmail) accounts for my clients. Like Gmail, they have a history of messages in there.
The 2 POP that I'm using infrequently using, I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM. Funny how they're on the same server.
In other words, network connectivity is fine. Hardware connection to the disc array is fine. Reading and writing small bits for the short term never stopped working.
So the problem is isolated to the email accounts that had some storage in there.
It's clear that the storage has been corrupted. That's why we're getting these error messages. There's a wad of storage in each of these accounts but when any email client tries to access it and sort it out, well... it's corrupted.
HOW it was corrupted is, I'm gathering, is due to a failed disc on a array. Perhaps a double failure as I've heard of that happening, esp with a very large array of discs (over 10)
IF YOU'RE AFFECTED BY THIS SITUATION
I'm SURE that if you were to simply delete the accounts (erasing the data) then create them again, they would work fine. You'd lose whatever data you had in there, but hey, you could resume receiving your email. (THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN)
So 100% of what our current problem is about, is the hope that they're going to be able to reassemble the data with what certainly appears to be at least one failed disk on a RAID.
FURTHERMORE, there is NO WAY it should be taking this long.
I'm really thinking they had to order more equipment, and a solid 2 days has been diagnosing, deciding, ordering and waiting for the shipment to come in. There was likely a vacation issue as well. My biggest issue with this is the LACK OF COMMUNICATION.
SO MY PSYCHIC PREDICTION is that while accounts will be restored, MOST / all of the data will be lost.
MOST LIKELY: 1) they will restore service 2) all IMAP data will be put into a single, big-ass "special" folder which will be a big mess with messages joined together, etc. Most / All binary attachments will be lost.
NONE of this is good, but the REALLY BAD THING is the lack of communication.