Policy Rejection - Quota exceeded. wiki.dreamhost.com/

My email (hosted exchange) is not on Dreamhost, but I am getting this message from some emails I send. The recipient does not seem to be on Dreamhost either.

Why would dreamhost reject these emails?

Not enough information is included here to be helpful.

Do you have any processes on dreamhost that generate outbound email? Such as contact forms etc? You might need to post a set of headers so we can figure out what’s really going on.

My customer is on Rackspace with a hosted Exchange email. The whois on the recipient’s domain is GoDaddy.com. I don’t know if the recipient’s email is on GoDaddy or not.

The customer sent 40 emails in a group and was getting some rejections. All rejections where for the Policy Rejection on dreamhost.

He is getting:
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:	VA ... 
  Sent:	7/12/2012 12:24 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

mike@... on 7/12/2012 12:24 PM
        Server error: '554 5.7.1 <mike@...>: Recipient address rejected: Policy Rejection- Quota Exceeded. wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Smtp-quota'

Hope that is helpful.

That makes it appear as if the customers email client is configured to use a dreamhost mail server as his outbound smtp server. Many desktop clients can have multiple outbound servers, perhaps there is some old data hanging around?

If that’s not it, then do you know how to read full email headers starting at the bottom to follow the route of the email?

read somewhere that you cannot send more than 100 recipients per hour.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Smtp-quota