Point a domain to DH hosting

Hello,

this is my first post after many times i came here to search answers to my questions.

I have a .it domain with another hosting service. I’ve buyed that domain before subscribe at DH. I thought to transfer here that domain but isn’t possible for a .it domain so i think to point that domain to my DH account.
Can i do that?

If i can’t which solution can i consider?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for the help.

Zanatos

[quote]I thought to transfer here that domain but isn’t possible for a .it domain so i think to point that domain to my DH account.
Can i do that?[/quote]
You need to work with your registrar - the company with whom you registered the domain. In order to point the domain to DreamHost, you need to update your registration to indicate the following nameservers:

ns1.dreamhost.com 66.33.206.206 ns2.dreamhost.com 208.96.10.221 ns3.dreamhost.com 66.33.216.216As an example see WHOIS for dreamhost.com where it shows “Domain servers”

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org

So i have to only change the DNS at the domain name. And what i have to do in the dreamhost account?

Thanks for the reply!

Zanatos

Set up your Fully Hosted domain and DreamHost’s DNS servers will do the rest.

-Scott

uh? The domain name is not registered on dreamhost.

He wasn’t talking about registration. He was talking about DNS resolution.

After you tell your registrar what nameservers you want to use (the ones I said to use before if you remember) then in about two days or less everyone on the Internet will be connecting to those DreamHost nameservers at some point to get new information.

In order to get your domain listed in those nameservers, you have to go to Domains -> Manage Domains and add it. Since you’re hosting the site wioth DreamHost, you choose the “Fully-hosted” option. Your zone info gets setup and IP addresses are assigned by this process.

I have made a test on a subdomain like sub.domain.it and i set the DNS to ns1.dreamhost.com etc…
But when i try to fully host the domain i get an error:

You can’t add that domain: you don’t have permission to add to domain.it

Thanks again for the help!

[quote]I have made a test on a subdomain like sub.domain.it and i set the DNS to ns1.dreamhost.com etc…
But when i try to fully host the domain i get an error:

You can’t add that domain: you don’t have permission to add to domain.it[/quote]
That will not work. You have to add domain.it first, then you can add subdomains.

Thanks for the info …very helpful!