Plz help me

poor english,sorry first

my files upload to the website with ftp ,but i can not see them in the internet(with http),but i can see them in the webftp and ftp…i think they maybe not in a same place ,but i don’t know why…and how to setup the website.can you tell me what is wrong.

i just want it can be used

by www.weiweifanfan.com

It appears that you have uploaded your files to the wrong directory, probably the root of your home directory. You need to upload the files to the web accessible directory for the domain, this by default is named the same as your domain.

For example; if your domain is named mydomain.com, there will be a sub-directory in your home directory also named mydomain.com, this is where you need to upload your files to.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

You can see the directory that the web server is looking in for a specific domain in the control panel under “Manager Domains”

Wholly

While the above posts are all well and good, they aren’t very informative. WHERE in the manage domains? WHAT does the subdomain look like?

I’m having this same problem and I have yet to receive a clear and concise answer on how to set up my files for my site. Sorry if I’m dumb, but not everyone knows how to use ftp. In fact, this is my first time ever really using it.

I have followed the instructions stating to add the Web Directory extension to my dreamweaver program. However, when typing in the website, I get the “page unable to load”. I go to the dreamhost sponsered ftp site for my server and it clearly says –

root/myfavshows.com

If this is wrong, how do I change it? And I mean, what are the steps to going about this? I’m seriously at my wits end and I’m wondering if I made a huge mistake in going with this provider.

umm… When I checked the original posters web site, it displayed as an empty directory listing, from this I assumed that he had uploaded his site files to the wrong directory. I then proceeded to tell him which directory he should upload his files to, what more do you think I should have told him?

I will note that the original posters web site now loads correctly, so I assume the information provided was enough for him to rectify the problem.

Is this your domain? If so, it does not resolve here, which suggests that DNS information for the domain has not yet propagated throughout the Internet. It can take up to 72 hours after a domain is created for this to happen.

How long ago was the domain created?

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

[quote]While the above posts are all well and good, they aren’t very informative. WHERE in the manage domains? WHAT does the subdomain look like?

I’m having this same problem and I have yet to receive a clear and concise answer on how to set up my files for my site. Sorry if I’m dumb, but not everyone knows how to use ftp. In fact, this is my first time ever really using it.

I have followed the instructions stating to add the Web Directory extension to my dreamweaver program. However, when typing in the website, I get the “page unable to load”. I go to the dreamhost sponsered ftp site for my server and it clearly says –

root/myfavshows.com

If this is wrong, how do I change it? And I mean, what are the steps to going about this? I’m seriously at my wits end and I’m wondering if I made a huge mistake in going with this provider.[/quote]

I’d recommend getting WinSCP (if you’re using Windows, otherwise maybe CyberDuck for OSX, or, well, I doubt if you’re using Linux). It will allow you to securely transfer files and it has a very simple interface.

Your site was started on the 22nd, so the DNS info SHOULD have propagated by now. You can check www.dreamhoststatus.com to see if your server is having any issues.

For clarification, your web directory is not root/myfavshows.com. It’s (from your perspective) ~/myfavshows.com. The full directory would be something like /home/username/myfavshows.com. Root refers to the root directory (as in “/”), which is actually different from /root. “~” means YOUR home directory. If you are logged in via ssh or telnet (command line connection), typing “cd” takes you to your home directory.

Read my blog. You know you want to…

Gordaen, thank you so much. This is just the kind of information I actually needed. I did send a support thing out last night and it was returned that there was something wrong with the DNS server and it should be working within 72 hours, which is fine. I’m not gung ho about putting up; I’m more worried that it won’t show up for some people, hence why I wanted to check.

In reply to:

For clarification, your web directory is not root/myfavshows.com. It’s (from your perspective) ~/myfavshows.com. The full directory would be something like /home/username/myfavshows.com. Root refers to the root directory (as in “/”), which is actually different from /root. “~” means YOUR home directory. If you are logged in via ssh or telnet (command line connection), typing “cd” takes you to your home directory.

This is what I meant by informative, Mark.

When I go to the panel, under manage domains, all I see is my domain (myfavshows), there is no subdomain or whatever. Also, I tried using the full path that is stated within the “Web directory” line (as stated on the unoffical blog); however, when I tried that and tested it, Dreamweaver said there was an ftp error.

So my question now is am I even using the right folder? How do I change it with the webftp through dreamhost? What is the correct path that I need to type into dreamweaver and WHERE do I find this path? (If it’s not the web directory line, then what is it???)

I agree, gordaen’s posts are always informative. :slight_smile:

However, I still maintain that my original post in this thread adequately covered the problem the original poster was having.

I am not sure why you are looking for a sub-domain. In my original post I referred to uploading your site files into a sub-directory, within your home directory, with the same name as your domain. I suspect that you are confusing sub-domain with sub-directory and the admin panel with your user’s home directory.

Firstly your user’s home directory; This is the first directory you will ‘see’ when you log-in using a real FTP client, such as the ones suggested by gordaen. This directory will contain various sub-directories, such as ‘mail’, ‘logs’ and ‘Maildir’. Your home directory will also contain one sub-directory for each domain that you are hosting, by default these sub-directories will be named the same as the domain. For example, if your domain is called ‘mydomain.com’, the sub-directory will also be named ‘mydomain.com’. This sub-directory is where you place the publicly accessible files for that domain (ie: your site files).

You can change the name of the sub-directory that each domain is served from at any time by changing the ‘Web Directory:’ specified in the Manage Domains section of the admin panel.

Unless you changed the Web Directory in the panel, then it should be named the same as your domain.

Since Dreamweaver is using FTP to access your server, it’s initial directory will be your home directory, it is from this base that you need to reference the location that you want it to upload to. Use the sub-directory shown in the manage domains section of the web panel, which by default is named the same as your domain.

Put simply, in the Dreamweaver ‘Host Directory’ field simply put mydomain.com , with no extra path information.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)