software development

Has anyone successfully installed a wiki of any type (I’m trying phpwiki), on a DreamHost server? I’m new to both installing Wikis and to DreamHost, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The mutt wiki ( is hosted with us. It uses a perl wiki script of some sort, and seems to work fine.

Are you encountering any specific problems setting up phpwiki?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My problem is more general than specific, I’m afraid. I’m confused as to how to access the database. I’ve created all the necessary tables, but every time I try to access the db with the wiki code, it won’t authenticate.

I’ve tried several different modifications to the PHP, all with equally mysterious messages such as:

Warning: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (2) in /home/.babson/lingwikiuser/ on line 37

and most recently:

Cannot open database lingwiki, giving up.
MySQL error: Access denied for user: ‘’ to database ‘lingwiki’

If you have any tips on what I’m doing wrong, I’d appreciate it. That you have a wiki up and running is encouraging!

Have you created a database (and an associated MySQL hostname)? If so, you’ll need to tell the script to connect to a remote MySQL server (, if that’s your MySQL hostname). You’ll also need to tell it the right database name.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your help, Will. It turns out that I was using the wrong database name --I was using the hostname instead of my domain name. :expressionless:

Everything seems to be in order now.

Hi again, Will-

One more question, if you don’t mind. I noticed that the URL of the mutt wiki is “”; my own wiki is at “”.

How can I get that URL to resolve as on the mutt wiki? I tried using a Domain Redirect, but that changes the URL once redirected.

Sorry for the silly questions; this is part of Web development I’ve never grappled with before.

Add a subdomain from the web panel, and move the wiki to the directory for this subdomain.