from the control panel’s goodies -> mysql area there was a link for phpMyAdmin & it didn’t work. I found out that it hyper-linked to mysql.mydomain.com where it is one of my domains fully hosted by Dream Host. I did some checks and I found out that ns1.dreamhost.com & the 2 other DNS servers did not answer to DNS lookup for mysql.mydomain.com, thus from outside of Dream Host it does not get our browsers to the server where we can get phpMyAdmin.
However, I think from within Dream Host’s data center, there are several internal DNS cache servers that happens to resolve mysql.mydomain.com corrected. I found out this when I couldn’t not get browser to phpMyAdmin, so I did SSH into Dream Host and used shell command to get mysql job done.
I realized that specifying localhost from ssh won’t work because the mysql server is not the same as the one I SSH into. I tried mysql.mydomain.com instead of localhost in a command line similar to the one below, and it worked:
[quote]mysql -uUserName -p -h mysql.mydomain.com mySQLdb
Actually not the above command rather I was doing a mysqldump instead but using mysql.mydomain.com instead of localhost.
My feedback to Dream Host is some of the automatically generated hostnames didn’t quite work ideally in the DNS side. Custom MX is also a bit buggy because it did let us specify the usual priority scale e.g. 0,10,20,30 for each MX. I tried to edit it a bit and one of my domain got down with email because dig can not get any MX answers from even ns1.dreamhost.com any more. Hope it is temporary.
I hope some engineer of Dream Host fix the hostname or link for us to get to phpMyAdmin.
Thanks & regards