phpBB3 SMTP server settings

Hi.

Need help with my phpBB3 (3.1.10) SMTP setup.

I noticed that e-mails sent to @gmx.net and @mail.com are simply not sent using:
ACP > General > Email settings:
Use SMTP server for email: No

I guess this is an issue that these providers simply block emails from DH servers, right?

So I changed this into my DH email account data.
ACP > General > Email settings:
Use SMTP server for email: Yes
SMTP server address: mail.example.com (my DH mail server)
SMTP server port: 25
Authentication method for SMTP: PLAIN
SMTP username: me@example.com
SMTP password: password

As server address, I tested …
mail.example.com
ssl://mail.example.com
tls://mail.example.com

As server port, I tested … 25, 465, 587

As authentification method, I tested … PLAIN, LOGIN

I tried more or less every possible combination of all of the above. There’s never any e-mail arriving!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ah, sorry to hear that. I just went through a similar battle to find an acceptable combination for a test site I’m setting up. So… what worked for me was

smtp_server: sub4.mail.dreamhost.com # make sure you have the right server, find it on https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214918038-Email_client_configuration_overview

smtp_port: “587” # not 465

smtp_user: “stefano@your domain.com” # make sure you’re using the full domain name
smtp_password: #make sure you got the right one! I went nuts for a few hours before I realized I was copying-pasting from LastPass the wrong entry

Also, authentication on sub4.mail.dreamhost.com is PLAIN, STARTTLS true.

Triple check and let us know if that doesn’t work. Check the error logs of your phpBB, maybe increase verbosity to find out exactly what’s going on.

Thanks a lot !!!

This works:
SMTP_server: sub4.mail.dreamhost.com
SMTP_port: 587
SMTP_authentication: LOGIN
SMTP_user: me@example.com
SMTP_password: password

This works as well (Yes, with 465 it works as well!):
SMTP_server: ssl://sub4.mail.dreamhost.com
SMTP_port: 465
SMTP_authentication: LOGIN
SMTP_user: me@example.com
SMTP_password: password

I believe I should give 465 preference, right?

Besides that, why does my regular SMTP server not work with phpBB when configured?

Also … why don’t emails to @gmx.net and @mail.com domains ever arrive?
DH or remote provider SMTP server configuration fault?

Thanks!

… later …

Just to complete this subject when mutt is used. Both works …

.muttrc

... set smtp_url="smtps://user@example.com@sub5.mail.dreamhost.com:465/" set smtp_pass="password" ...

... set smtp_url="smtp://user@example.com@sub5.mail.dreamhost.com:587/" set smtp_pass="password" ...
If the user containes a @ (like DH requires), it also works. Don’t use quotes to include the user. Just type as shown above.

Dreamhost gets pretty routine blacklist inclusion. At the moment sub5 is blacklisted by “Ospam” an organization I know nothing about and didn’t Google. My point however is use mxtoolbox.com check known mail server blacklists.

But IMHO, this site (mxtoolbox.com) show why emails to @gmx.net and @mail.com don’t arrive when using my regular mail.example.com SMTP server. Or did I miss something?

Also, what are the differences between the sub[345].mail.dreamhost.com and “my” mail.example.com SMTP servers?

mail.example.com points to the same IP as whichever mail server you have -> sub[345].mail.dreamhost.com or homie.mail.dreamhost.com. In the days when most connections to mail servers were not encrypted the mail.example.com hostname worked fine, in today’s world you likely want TLS and using the “mail.” name will render a certificate warning or error.

Ok, understood.
Thanks a lot for the explanations!