phpBB troubles

apps

I’ve already went to the phpBB support forums, and I haven’t really gotten any help. I’ll try here and see if I can get any help…

My board was working just fine earlier this week, until a few days ago I noticed that trying to get into topics only led me to an error page. I then learned that other members of my board was having the same thing happening to them.

Then, today, I can’t even get onto my board… Period.

And finally, I try to go into my database, and I can’t get the main table page to appear. I also can’t get the more heavy information tables, like the user table, to show up either.

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this problem? I’m trying to save all the database files I can, but many of them don’t show up. I also made another database in hopes that that would fix the problem, but by uploading the files I was able to save, I get this error at the bottom of the tables page.

“Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated. To find out why click here.”

It tells me this:

“If you are the only user of this phpMyAdmin installation, you can use your current database to store those special tables; in this case, just put your current database name in $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘pmadb’].”

I don’t understand it, seeing as how I am still rather new to the whole database, php, etc. thing…

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused: I’d really REALLY hate to lose all the stuff I have on my message board.

Have you tried logging into shell to backup the database?

From the shell, you should be able to do something like:

mysqldump --host=[hostname] --user=[username] --password -c -r [filename] [database] [table...]And to get the table names:

mysql --host=[hostname] --user=[username] --password --execute="show tables;" [database]Hope this helps.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

I’m really sorry, but I don’t know how or really what a shell is… -.-;; How do I get to it? I can pretty much understand the rest, so yeah… ^^;;

And I guess that helps my database save… however, I’m afraid I’ll still have the big big problem… The fact that no matter what database I use, my message board is not going to show up.

You telnet or ssh into your machine, and the shell is a program that lets you run commands from a command line. If you’re more familiar with Windows, the equivalent is the Command Prompt (WinXP) or MS-DOS’s COMMAND.COM.

The first user on your plan should be have shell access. On Windows, the quick and not so secure way is to running Command Prompt, type in telnet yourdomain.com, and login using your username and password (should be same as FTP).

It told me it was FTP access only and logged me back out. -.-;

Well, uh, I guess I learned something new…?

I’m hopeless. Sorry for bothering you so much. ^_^;;

Well if you cant have a shell user, then you’d probably have to install MySQL on your own computer and then use those commands I gave you. You’d have to use the Web Panel to open the mysql user to your IP address, too.

I was simply trying to mess with the theme and set my CSS which resulted in a black admin screen. I deleted everything and started again. However, I am getting a message that I can’t delete a subdirectory with an empty folder in it. I checked the permissions through my FTP client and I gave myself rights to everything. Why would this be and how can I fix it?

I’m in the process of completely setting up a new mysql database and reinstalling phpBB2 into a separate directory. I would like to delete these odd old directories. I can rename them copy and delete inside them but not remove them.
I’m wondering if figuring out how to SSH and trying a rendir or whatever the command might be would do the trick, but really, what would be the difference?
Thanks in advance.

When you have trouble deleting something, you need to check the owner and permissions of the parent directory. Only the owner can set the permissions of the directory that would allow one to delete something inside the directory. Log in to shell and run this command:

ls -dl pathTo see the owner and permissions of the directory, for example:

Atropos7@machine:~$ ls -dl ~/lib/Business drwxr-xr-x 2 Atropos7 pg9999 4096 Apr 12 2001 lib/BusinessIndicates that I can delete files or directories inside the ~/lib/Business directory. I’m the owner shown, and the drwx shows that the path is a directory and that owner has read, write and execute permissions.

If the owner is dhapache, its possible the file was created by the web panel or perhaps PHP-Apache. Support would have to delete it for you.

If you are the owner of the parent directory which grants you all permissions, you should be able to delete everything in the directory:

rm -r path/*The -r will delete subdirectories recursively. Don’t leave off the /* unless you want path to dissappear, too.