phpBB install - variety of problems, please help!

apps

OK, I’m about to throw my computer out the window I’m so freakin’ frustrated. The guys in the phpBB forum aren’t helping, the DH tech guys aren’t helping, and I have no clue where it is I’m going wrong with installing phpBB.

I have an active DB, DB hostname and DB user.

I put in the following info:
Database Server Hostname / DSN: mysql/domainname.com
Your Database Name: DHusername_DBusername
Database Username: DHusername_DBusername
(this came from a tip from the phpBB board. When I put them in this way, I get a can’t connect message. When I put them in without the DHusername_, I get a different ‘can’t write to file’ message.)
Database Password: duh, DB password
Domain Name: www.domainname.com
Server Port: 80
Script path: /phpbb2/

…and I get this:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: ‘DHusername_DBusername@crack.dreamhost.com’ (Using password: YES) in /home/.palamino/DHusername/domainname.com/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 42

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.palamino/DHusername/domainname.com/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 324

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.palamino/DHusername/domainname.com/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 325
phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database

and if I DON’T add DHusername_ in front of stuff, I get a list of messages that all look like this:

An error occurred trying to update the database
Could not insert board_startdate :: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES (‘board_startdate’, 1089961001) :: 741 :: /home/.palamino/notwitho/bigbadbabynames.com/phpBB2/install/install.php

I am at my wits’ f**king end! What the hell am I missing? I’ve got this feeling it has something to do with the server (.palamino or crack or whatever), but I have no idea where that would need to be added!

PLEASE PLEASE help! I’ve got 300 forum users who need a new forum NOW! And I don’t want to break my window throwing my computer through it!

Thank you so much!
dangerine

Uhm, the “DHusername_DBusername” bit is wrong, ignore that “tip”.

[quote]I put in the following info:
Database Server Hostname / DSN: mysql/domainname.com
Your Database Name: DHusername_DBusername
Database Username: DHusername_DBusername
(this came from a tip from the phpBB board. When I put them in this way, I get a can’t connect message. When I put them in without the DHusername_, I get a different ‘can’t write to file’ message.)
Database Password: duh, DB password[/quote]

This should be:

Database Server Hostname / DSN: hostname
Your Database Name: database name
Database Username: username
Database Password: password
Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_

The database name is not the same as username or hostname.

When you are in the DH Web Admin Panel on the Goodies -> MySQL section, the database name is the name that appears asr “Database: database name / Size: 0 KB”

When you login to phpMyAdmin at http://hostname/, the database name is the link underneath “Home” in the left frame. Clicking on the link should then make the other frame show " Database database name running on hostname" at the top of the page.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Yeah, I’ve got all the DB hostname and name and username stuff write, I’ve triple-checked to make sure the DB is activated, and I still get:

An error occurred trying to update the database

Could not insert board_startdate :: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES (‘board_startdate’, 1090145913) :: 741 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not insert default_lang :: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES (‘default_lang’, ‘english’) :: 748 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘boards@(domainname).com’ WHERE config_name = ‘board_email’ :: 765 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘/phpBB2/’ WHERE config_name = ‘script_path’ :: 765 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘80’ WHERE config_name = ‘server_port’ :: 765 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘(domainname).com’ WHERE config_name = ‘server_name’ :: 765 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not update admin info :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET username = ‘(myname)’, user_password=‘a8b767bb9cf0938dc7f40603f33987e5’, user_lang = ‘english’, user_email=‘boards@(domainname).com’ WHERE username = ‘Admin’ :: 776 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Could not update user_regdate :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_regdate = 1090145913 :: 783 :: /home/.palamino/(DHusername)/(domainname).com/phpBB2/install/install.php

Notice it knows my Dreamhost username without me telling it. I don’t know if that has anything to do with anything.

So…what should I try next? I’ve erased and reloaded phpBB twice now, walked through all the install stuff I can find. Is there something specific to Dreamhost I’m missing?

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate any help or ideas!

The problem is its not telling us why it could not update the database. The install scripts has to

1. connect to database
  2. create tables from install/schemas/mysql_schema.sql
  3. insert default values from install/schemas/mysql_basic.sql
  4. update tables

And so far we’ve confirmed #1 is working OK. Now #2 and #3 must be working OK because the error handling for that part hasn’t been triggered. Its the error handling for #4 that we’re seeing, and unfortunately they we the error handling is written, it doesn’t tell us what the error condition with the mysql engine is.

I would suggest changing that. The code in question is a couple of blocks like this:

if (!$db->sql_query($sql)) { $error .= "Could not update admin info :: " . $sql . " :: " . __LINE__ . " :: " . __FILE__ . "<br /><br />"; } If you modify install.php, try making it like this:

if (!$db->sql_query($sql)) { [b]$mysql_error = $db->sql_error(); $error .= "MySQL error: " . $mysql_error["message"] . "<br /><br />";[/b] $error .= "Could not update admin info :: " . $sql . " :: " . __LINE__ . " :: " . __FILE__ . "<br /><br />"; }Where the part in bold is the stuff that should tell you what mysql says the problem is. I haven’t tested this myself though.

No, has nothing to do with it, and this is normal - its only telling you what file is causing the problem, and the location of your files includes your username.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

OK, so I put in Atropos’ code, and now I get this:

MySQL error: Table ‘[DBname].phpbb_config’ doesn’t exist

Could not update admin info :: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES (‘board_startdate’, 1090635351) :: 743 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not insert default_lang :: INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES (‘default_lang’, ‘english’) :: 750 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘diana@[domainname].com’ WHERE config_name = ‘board_email’ :: 767 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘/phpBB2/’ WHERE config_name = ‘script_path’ :: 767 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘80’ WHERE config_name = ‘server_port’ :: 767 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not insert default_lang :: UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = ‘[domainname].com’ WHERE config_name = ‘server_name’ :: 767 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not update admin info :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET username = ‘diana’, user_password=‘a8b767bb9cf0938dc7f40603f33987e5’, user_lang = ‘english’, user_email=‘diana@[DHusername]utmyhandbag.com’ WHERE username = ‘Admin’ :: 778 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php
Could not update user_regdate :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_regdate = 1090635351 :: 785 :: /home/.palamino/[DHusername]/[domainname].com/phpBB2/install/install.php

As far as I can tell, the same except for the first line. Hmmm…

You know, I’m getting the point where I will PAY someone to just do this for me. Seriously. Respond with advice, or your price demands!

That was just the error I thought you would get… yeah this is kinda of a problem that needs hands-on work. The install script is not creating the tables for some reason.

I would try to manually load the ~/phpBB2/install/schemas/mysql_schema.sql ad ~/phpBB2/install/schemas/mysql_basic.sql files.

Using phpMyAdmin:

1. Download the files to your local machine
  2. then login to phpMyAdmin and click on the name of the database in the left frame
  3. Click on the “SQL” tab
  4. Use the filepicker for “Or Location of the textfile :” and choose mysql_schema.sql
  5. Click on “Go”
  6. Do this again for mysql_basic.sql last

This should create the tables, and next time you run the Install script you shouldn’t get the MySQL error messages.

I imagine something is keeping the Install script from reading those files, but then again the error handling in that script is mighty weak.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS