Phpbb/how to install

apps

well my subject was my Q. I am confused because here mysql is setup on forum.mysite.com.

I would really appreciate some help, too. I am trying to set up phpBB and thought I’d checked and checked again, but I can’t even get the install settings page to open.

The instructions said to change the config.php file to 666, which I did, and went to the install/install.php url and it said “Forbidden” (and by the way, we got a 404 too).

The zip file I opened only had one directory which contained al long list of files and two other zips. I uploaded it exactly that way, and I’m wondering what directory structure they’re referring to ‘preserving’. I don’t have any information on creating the /install/install.php path.

pretty discouraging… all the support notes said ‘wow this is great and so easy’ so yes I feel like a complete idjit.

Do I need to ask for php functionality as well as set up the database, or, have I not waited long enough for the database to kick in?

No idea how I managed to bollocks it up already :smiley: any suggestions most appreciated.

It sounds like you got a bum version of the download for phpBB2, my download has a pretty well-defined directory without any other zip files in them.

I’d just like to know what version of MySQL dreamhost has, as I can’t find reference to it anywhere.

I think it is mysql 4.

willscorner.net

Right now we’re in the middle of doing those upgrades, so it really depends on what machine you’re on.

It will tell you what the server version is when you connect to the db via the CLI MySQL client.

For example:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 14927 to server version: 3.23.55-max-log

I get a list of errors when I attempt to install…
What should I have for Server hostname? Also, what should I have for prefix for tables?

This is my list of errors, sorry to double post.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can’t connect to MySQL server on ‘grappa’ (111) in /home/.octavia/relapsed/relapse.dreamhost.com/relapse/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.octavia/relapsed/relapse.dreamhost.com/relapse/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.octavia/relapsed/relapse.dreamhost.com/relapse/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Step one is to create the database using the Goodies tab of your DH control panel. You will specify a hostname at that time. I usually name it after the database itself so I can remember it later. Example:

db name = blah
hostname = blah.mydomain.com
user = whatever
pass = whatever

Step two is to wait several hours for the hostname to propagate. I usully keep trying to connect it through phpMyadmin by clicking on the database name in the MySQL section of the goodies tab of the panel. Once I can successfully access it that way it’s usually good to go for installing whatever. Note: in the worst case, I’ve had to wait over a day for the hostname to become accessible. Lately though they’ve been showing up pretty quickly.

Unless you are installing on top of a previous phpBB databse that you want to also keep, just accept the default phpBB table prefixes.

On the directory structure question above… I’ve had the best luck with phpBB (and most scripts) if I upload the zip file and unzip it right in place on the server. Most well-behaved scripts create a directory named after the version of the script. I then rename that directory phpBB or forum or something less clunky. Then I edit the config files in place. Unzipping on the server saves me having partial uploads, funky permissions (you will still need to set permissions as directed), binary files accidentally uploaded as ASCII and vice-versa, and so on. You do risk clobbering existing files so I am fairly cautious if I have a lot on the server already. (I usually unpack the archive once on my local disk so I know what directories are going to be created and where, before I do it on the server.)

mysql 3.0 works with me. make sure you are installing phpbb 2.06, or the newest version. avatar uploads wont work, unless you give the avatar upload folder full access to all :frowning:

make sure ALL the info is correct, or it will never work…

after install, get easymod, advanced quick reply mod, and a cool template. always do the templates first.

I’m sorry it’s taken so long to reply, took a while to find the old ‘support’ message I’d received with the exact info from them.

The MySQL port is 3306.
The version we are running is 3.23.55.

That was from 8 February, and I’ve noticed a couple of references to an upgrade, so I’m not sure it’s still accurate.